Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet ID help

Article about: I have this helmet and I would like more information on it. Especially the heat number and the number "1 2 (or 3) 6" on the bottom side of the shell peak. After lots of research on

Post M1 Helmet ID help

I have this helmet and I would like more information on it. Especially the heat number and the number "1 2 (or 3) 6" on the bottom side of the shell peak. After lots of research on Google it seems to be a McCord shell. If wanting photos, please request them.
    This is what I found out:

September 1942 (according to McCord)

Shell:
    ~ fixed bails
    ~ front seam
    ~ Heat # 272 (letter not present/missing?)
    ~ 1 (2 or 3) 6 (on peak)?
    ~ OD #3?
    ~ does have some stress cracks
    ~ OD #7 dark green net (reproduction- I added)
    ~ L: 11” W: 9.5” D: 7”
    ~ McCord (I'm positive, No "S")
    ~ cork texture
    ~weight: 2.5 Ibs
    ~ Raised brass bar buckle & 2 prong hook
    ~ Olive Drab (OD) tank green paint

Liner
    ~ high pressure
    ~ Seaman Paper Company
    ~ Post War leather chin strap (New old stock-I added)
    ~ Sweat band- (reproduction-I added)
    ~ weave forms 3 V pattern
    ~ nape/neck strap, nickel- no ID?

Questions
    ~ More Info on: the heat number, letter missing?
    ~ more info on: numbers on peak?
    ~ McCord,Ingersoll, R.J. Stampings or Schlueter?
    ~ est. Time period?
    ~ leather chin strap: Is it correct for the time period you think it is?
    ~ neck strap info

Hey if you post pictures of it i am sure that you will get your answers quicker

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    Here are some photos M1 Helmet ID helpM1 Helmet ID helpM1 Helmet ID helpM1 Helmet ID help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet ID help  

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    Here are some more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet ID help   M1 Helmet ID help  

M1 Helmet ID help   M1 Helmet ID help  

G'day - I am not totally sure of what you are asking here but I will try to help. I can't comment on the underrim numbers, never seen them before. The chinstrap you added is not correct for WWII, but you know this already yeh? The anchor stamp on the hardware is correct for VN era, but not WWII. The leather sweatband also appears to be repro. Maybe it is just my eyes, but I can see no cork texture??? The shell looks like it has been stripped and repainted since WWII (not a desirable attribute for WWII collectors) The chinstraps appear to be OD7 (green) when originally they were khaki on fixed bales (again maybe my eyes seeing green). The liner is quite desirable if indeed a Seaman, but I would hazard a guess that this is a complete 'put together' WWII helmet - As it has been repainted, even the fixed bales, in my opinion are suspect. Cheers

EDIT - The straps do look khaki in some pics.

This is what WWII era cork looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 Helmet ID help