Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmet identification

Article about: I have purchased on a militaria market a M1 helmet shell front seam fixed bale with a number stamped inside 640D. From all i can find online it must be a wartime shell. Front seam, fixed bal

Default M1 helmet identification

I have purchased on a militaria market a M1 helmet shell front seam fixed bale with a number stamped inside 640D. From all i can find online it must be a wartime shell. Front seam, fixed bale a number between 0 - 1300. But i am not convinced. Can anyone by seeing the pictures tell me if its really is a wartime shell. I am using a what i believe is a post war liner. I have conversed the helmet in a airborne helmet the chincup en A straps and chinband are repro. I saw a shell on Catawiki that was allmost similar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 helmet identification  M1 helmet identification  M1 helmet identification  M1 helmet identification  M1 helmet identification 

It is a war time shell - mid '43 by McCord. I have a similar shell, heat stamp number '623C' with the fixed bales.

As I am sure you are aware the shell has been 'refurbished' to look like a 101st Airborne (506th) paratrooper helmet.

I would like to see more photos of the liner. It may be a wartime example.

Jeeze Chris you must be sharp as I can't see crap with these pics!

Cannot see the point in crapping up an original M1 helmet shell by putting poor AB insignia on them. What is wrong with an honest WW2 shell that served an infantryman well?

From what I can make out through the gloom the liner is likely to be wartime or very early 50’s. The much later liners got rid of the front vent/insignia hole.

Thank you all for the info. The liner that came with the shell was a german made fibre liner. Not the liner from then pictures. I shall try to make some better pics. Why 101 airborne 506 pir? Because i am collect all stuff. I am using the helmet on an display. Also my Willys jeep has the markings of the 101 AB.

With regards,
    Evert

101st M1 Helmet markings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet identification  

I don’t think the large netting is right for 101st either, they tended to have either 1” netting or British type.

Hello,

Here are some pics from the display. I have also post some pics from another liner that i picked up online. The A juggs in this are brass. But the same as with the other liner i think its post war. So it appears by the info i have got from you guys that i have work to do. I have bought this liner as it is in the airborne MP conversion.

Regards,
    Evert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet identification   M1 helmet identification  

M1 helmet identification   M1 helmet identification  

?

The 101st liner is freshly painted, also looks like it might have a Belgian clone M1 chinstrap.

This I have forgotten to post so I do so now. The liner that came with the shell has written in white paint inside H.R.N. 56. I cant find anything online. I guess it is German manufactured. The A washers are grey metall. Says HRN 56 someone anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast