Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet identification

Article about: Beyond the basics identifiers I’m not that confident in identifying late WWII and Korean war vintage M1s. I would like to thank NickD for the effort put into the ‘stickies’ in the forum, the

?

Default M1 helmet identification

Beyond the basics identifiers I’m not that confident in identifying late WWII and Korean war vintage M1s. I would like to thank NickD for the effort put into the ‘stickies’ in the forum, these have helped a lot.

I’m interested in the helmet below and would be grateful if some of you could confirm or ridicule my belief that this is a late WWII vintage helmet. The images are from the seller, it’s a rear seam, swivel bale. The shape of the shell looks to be a deeper type, the chin strap looks to be correct also, although the rivet is a question mark.

The liner is a bit more ambiguous, there is no photo that shows the front of the liner, before I ask for more images, is there anything shown that would make this a post war liner. I think the headband has been replaced.

It wont be the first time I've got it wrong this year, so please throw any feedback on this.

Thanks.
    Steve
    M1 helmet identification

M1 helmet identification

M1 helmet identification

M1 helmet identification

M1 helmet identification

heat stamp number will help.

The 'seam' of the helmet is at the rear (picture 2), I understood this to be post war manufacture ?
    Regards
    Paul

The lack of a grommet in the front of the liner would clinch it at being post 1945, but as you don't have this picture it isn't so easy, but I would guess it is WW2 liner from what I can see so far.

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    The 'seam' of the helmet is at the rear (picture 2), I understood this to be post war manufacture ?
    Regards
    Paul
    Many ww2 helmets were rear seamed.

?

Thanks for the replies, I'll ask the seller for a photo of the liner front.
    Steve.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The lack of a grommet in the front of the liner would clinch it at being post 1945, but as you don't have this picture it isn't so easy, but I would guess it is WW2 liner from what I can see so far.
    It does have the grommet in the front.

M1 helmet identification

It also has master sergeant rank and 'May' on the front, the Japanese characters I had translated and also read as 'May'.

M1 helmet identification

Steve

Like it Tinhat, if the price is right for you I would snap it up!

Again the liner should have a maker mark within the crown this would help, i think the webbing looks post war so either left over stock or re worked, still looks a nice set.