Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet information

Article about: Hi Guys I recently acquired this helmet I know its WW2 issued as it has a front seam and faint traces (under the top layer of paint) of the standard dark green paint. my question is this! i

?

Default M1 Helmet information

Hi Guys

I recently acquired this helmet I know its WW2 issued as it has a front seam and faint traces (under the top layer of paint) of the standard dark green paint.

my question is this! i know the helmet has been repainted since the end of the war but im unsure if this has been done by a reenactor/private individual or if it was reissued and repainted in service?

When a helmet was repainted in service was it always done to a specific colour? or was it painted with any shade of colour the soldiers had to hand?

Hope you guys can shed some light.

Adam

M1 Helmet informationM1 Helmet informationM1 Helmet information

If the OD under around the rim appears "dark" green then I would say it was reissued after WW2, its not easy to say from the photos. The webbing is clearly new. Given it has AB tick marks added I would say it was done by a reenactor but you are right that the shell is original, its just been through several incarnations.

It’s a ww2 McCord with reproduction straps, tactical markings and repaint.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

thanks for the reply guys! question is do i leave it or repaint it....

Choice is yours, looks like some original cork exist too, try pick up a nice liner for it and will display well, some original straps would look better.
    ORIGINAL Used WWII OD7 Chinstrap Set w/Raised Bar Buckle & Wire J Hook M1 Helmet | eBay

The condition with the stress crack is not so special anyway. The chin rims are IMO reproductions and the shell has been painted over.

Honestly it might be cheaper to buy another helmet than try to put this on back to "original".
    Also you can never really make it original.
    I would look for a nice Fixed bail/loop.