MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 helmet and liner identification?

Article about: by jumpingjank great info there AJ so those chinstraps with the anchor are nam and korean era ? i always wondered what era they are from I believe so. They are most certainly Vietnam era, I

?

Default M1 helmet and liner identification?

Hi. This is another M1 that I have had for a couple years. I just wanted to get you guys opinion on what war it was from and what kind of liner is with it. the helmet has a m310 number swivel bails and rear seam. the liner has no makers marks just a + on top dead center. This is the first one I bought and this last Saturday I got the early Hawley so now I have 2. Again I am glad that I joined this sight. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet and liner identification?   M1 helmet and liner identification?  

M1 helmet and liner identification?   M1 helmet and liner identification?  

Default re: M1 helmet and liner identification?

I'm not too sure about the heat stamp. But the helmet looks like a Korea and later shell with a Vietnam para liner.

?

I don't think it is Korea or Vietnam as it doesn't match the examples I own. It does infact match my 1980's M1 helmet which is worth around $30-$50.

All the best,
    Stefan

** Here are a couple pics of it
    M1 helmet and liner identification?M1 helmet and liner identification?

?

I have been looking around and found this in the head band in the liner if this helps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmet and liner identification?  

the shell is korean war era but as for the liner that look 70's-80's but i could be wrong.cheers

?

There is some info on US clothing stamps here.

eBay Guides - Intrepreting Dates of DA DSA DLA SPO Contract Numbers

Quote:
    One of the most commonly seen features on United States Military Equipment and Clothing is a DA, DSA, DLA, or SPO Contract Number stamp. If you correctly read the stamp, you will know when your item was manufactured. A signifigant aid in figuring out how much your item may be worth!

The first was DA, which stands for Defense Agency. It ran from 1953 to 1961. It was superceeded by the DSA, which stands for Defense Supply Agency. It was used from 1962 to 1977. After that, the DLA, the Defense Logistics Agency took over from 1978 to 1993. From 1994 to the present, the SPO - System Program Offices have been in charge of procurements.

If your item has a Manufacture's Stamp only - it was made prior to the beginning of the Korean War. A knowledge of when the particular item was used will narrow down the time frame. A date stamp may, or may not be present.

DA stamped items range from the Korean War to very early Vietnam War. Look for a two digit number, typically near the end of the code (it will range from 53 to 61) for the exact year of manufacture of your item.

DSA stamped items introduced a systematic dating process:

1962 thru 1964 - Prefix of DSA-1, Suffix of E6Y (Y=Year)
    1965 - Prefix of DSA-1, No Dating Suffix
    1966 - Prefix of DSA-100, No Dating Suffix
    1967 thru 1977 Prefix of DSA-100, Dating Suffix of YYM (YY=Year, M=Month)

Best Regards,

Andy

Oops, I forgot to mention, the anchor chinstrap stamp is seen mostly on Vietnam era kit, and some Korean war stuff.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

great info there AJ so those chinstraps with the anchor are nam and korean era ? i always wondered what era they are from

?

Thanks. If I am reading it right this helmet liner is from November 1965 or 68? hard to read the numbers.

i thought it was actually newer than that but if it is either i would say 1968 .im sure one of the other members can confirm the era of this liner .

?

Yes even with the dating system I am still not sure if I know what I am doing. I am going to try and take out the head band and look for more numbers. But it is on there pretty good and I do not want to damage it. Thanks to all for the help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast