Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet liner with initials.

Article about: Hey guys! Picked up this M1 liner a while ago, pretty rare to come across when you live in the Netherlands. Barely see any American militaria over here. So I got really lucky when I picked t

?

Default M1 helmet liner with initials.

Hey guys!
    Picked up this M1 liner a while ago, pretty rare to come across when you live in the Netherlands. Barely see any American militaria over here. So I got really lucky when I picked this one up. Seems to me to be a liner built inbetween 1943 and 1945. At least, thats what I read on the internet on when the liners from Mining Safety Appliances were made. Other than a few straps here and there missing, it seems to be good.

There also seem to be initials inside, maybe I could find more out about the previous owner with the help of you guys. Here are the initials

From what I can make out of it, it says:

V Erven W

So my questions are;

Is it original? Though I'm 99% sure it is, I'm not a real expert on originality.
    Can anyone track down the army number to find out more information on mr Erven?

-Bas

Looks good to me.

Yes, original. Also the paint is good, only the nape strap seems odd. Colour apart, is it stitched?

Original WW2 liner appears to be Dutch or European reissue because the webbing suspension and nape strap look like they have been replaced. Note the nut and bolt fixture rather than tubular rivets. Also the the exterior of the nuts looks to have been painted so i would imagine the outside has also been repainted at some point. I do like the MSA logo.

Cheers
    Harry

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Note the nut and bolt fixture rather than tubular rivets. Also the the exterior of the nuts looks to have been painted so i would imagine the outside has also been repainted at some point.
    You're right, I didn't notice that by the screen of my tablet.

H is correct of coarse,US wartime surplus Liner sent to postwar Europe for use in Holland and Denmark,these enlarged rivets are commonly seen on ebay by certain sellers.