Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet liner trouble

Article about: So I have this problem. I do not yet have a "proper" display stand for my belgian M1 copy helmet, so I have to just keep it on the table. I have two covers for it (US ERDL cover an

Default M1 helmet liner trouble

So I have this problem. I do not yet have a "proper" display stand for my belgian M1 copy helmet, so I have to just keep it on the table. I have two covers for it (US ERDL cover and a repro woodland cover) but I like to have it on display without them, this brings me the problem. With the helmet cover on, it kind off fills the gaps between the liner and the shell, so I can keep it on the table level with the shell strap thingys on the side. But when I take the cover off, the liner falls out without the shell strap things towards the inside of the helmet, which doesnt really work on a tabletop display. So, do you have any tips how to keep the liner inside with the strap mounts to the sides?

?

Default Re: M1 helmet liner trouble

all i can suggest is to put a couple of pieces of cloth between the liner & shell as if the cover was on it ?

Well I tried alot of stuff between them, some cloth (Which was actually too thin and slippery) and newspaper (same thing)

?

have you not got any material that is similar to that of the camo cover material ??

Well, not really, except my GP-5 gas mask pouch, which as you might already know, is something I dont want to damage

?

its certainly easier to display the helmet with the chinstrap bails facing inwards , you have to remember that helmets were meant to be worn, not displayed, you could try this method to help, take a plastic kids football, approx the right size for the liner, cut it in half so that there is a small edge that will rest on the table and will support the whole helmet and let the bails hang down without touching the table, this works for nearly all helmets and caps

Ok, I will try that, thanks!