Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet with no markings

Article about: Hello, I recently picked up a M1 helmet at a dutch fllea market, but it has no markings. I also couldn't see any stamps. So I was hoping to possibly get some help identifying it. My guess is

Question M1 helmet with no markings

Hello, I recently picked up a M1 helmet at a dutch fllea market, but it has no markings. I also couldn't see any stamps. So I was hoping to possibly get some help identifying it. My guess is that it's an Euroclone, but I'm not really sure. M1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markingsM1 helmet with no markings M1 helmet with no markings
    So I managed to find the stamps and there are two of them and are the same.M1 helmet with no markings
    Last edited by Alevir7; 09-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Nice find, but you are correct, it is a European clone but a nice find nonetheless. Any time I see a helmet on a table at a flea market I get excited.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Standard Dutch M53 helmet. The shell will be marked on the rim on the inside, near the front.

As already indicated a European clone of the M1,, but it is in decent shape with all webbing and straps.. so now you need a US M1 to go beside it and you will see the similarities and differences side by side..

Good pick up

Smitty

Thank you for the replies. I just have one more question. I did a little digging into the helmet history and found out that due to problems in the production some helmets were rejected and sometimes just a hefty dent was made to distinguish them, instead of making a hole into them. I wonder if these four dents on the top are because of that or they could have happened because of something else? There are no dents on the inside. There is also one very small dent on the side.

Good question,,

Each of the dents look similar and could have possibly been done by a ball peen hammer..

Not sure though..

Smitty

This is a Dutch made M1 clone. It was manufactured by VerBlifa in The Netherlands and has been inspected (controle) and found adequate bij the 673 ICW (Intendance Centrale Werkplaats) (Quartermaster Central Maintenance facility) This steel shell has been manufactured in 1955, judging by the stamp in the rear rim. Inspection took place in later years, often when reservists were called up after many years for active duty.

The dents are accidental.

The liner is an Air Force grey one, made by Schuberth Helme from Germany for The Netherlands MOD in 1988 (SH88).

The Dutch M1 clone (M53) is readily identified by the typical chinstrap buckle and most liners have a peculiar neckstrap with only two snap fasteners on the one side, so precluding adjustment. Reasons unknown.

Cheers,
    Emile