Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 helmet painted insignia help

Article about: Hey all, I need some help identifying some insignia on my M1. It was sold as a medic m1 because it had 4 white circles painted on all sides. However these insignias were painted over in dark

Default M1 helmet painted insignia help

Hey all,

I need some help identifying some insignia on my M1. It was sold as a medic m1 because it had 4 white circles painted on all sides. However these insignias were painted over in dark OD. I removed paint covering the front circle, and it was no medic cross. It is a white circle with hints of light blue paint inside it. The circle was in poor condition, and it was surely painted on twice. I could tell because before I removed the repaint, there were two outlines of a circle. The position of the insignia was also changed, and therefore the repaint insignia crossed over with the old one making both insignias look like one big blob. Judging on the size, placement, and color, I assumed 29th ID but I'm not sure. What do you guys say?

The M1's liner also was inscribed with the name E. Michels and 38372590. I did a quick NARA search and found that the man who wore this M1 was named Edward C Michels from Texas. If there's any way to determine what unit Edward served in, this could also help id'ing the insignia.

i think medics in the pacific made circles instead of crosses because the japanese spotted the cross easier. this seams like a great medic lid. i hope someone else can help to find the man who owned the helmet.

Quote by Patches View Post
    i think medics in the pacific made circles instead of crosses because the japanese spotted the cross easier. this seams like a great medic lid. i hope someone else can help to find the man who owned the helmet.
    Could be true on this statement. However I have only seen medic/corpsman lids from the PTO with a circle on the front and back, never on the sides. But this M1 could be an exception. Like you said, someone may be able to find the man and that could bring me closer to finding out what the markings mean

Uncovered the rear insignia to find a crude circle. Again, it has traces of light blue.