Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M1 helmet question.

Article about: Well most Euro clones had steel hinges as far as im aware,so maybe south american or far east like indonesia,only a guess its hard to work out when there's nothing to compare it with,even on

?

Default Re: M1 helmet question.

Well I did the squeeze technique and it's quite firm and rigid. Could a soldier with a metal worker MOS simply changed it to his requirement while the brass was shiny to impress others or could it be used by certain soldiers who work with sensitive equipment such as mine detecting or other related devices. Either way, it seems to be a unique helmet and although I was going to sell it, I think I will hold on to it for awhile. Still open for any ideas.

I have been reading this thread with interest.
    It would be good to see clear focused pictures of the bails and the seam joint on the rim.
    I don't under stand why it has dimples on rim centre of the bails this is only seen on early fixed bails or "D" bails or reconditioned swivel bails.
    I personally don't think any country would fit brass bails on steel hinge plates as these two metals will be quite far apart on the electrolytic corrosion table thus the result would be quicker corrosion of the steel unless of coarse the hinge plates are stainless steel.
    just my opinion
    Regards
    Rod

Quote by denfly View Post
    Well I did the squeeze technique and it's quite firm and rigid. Could a soldier with a metal worker MOS simply changed it to his requirement while the brass was shiny to impress others or could it be used by certain soldiers who work with sensitive equipment such as mine detecting or other related devices. Either way, it seems to be a unique helmet and although I was going to sell it, I think I will hold on to it for awhile. Still open for any ideas.
    I am going to call it original and you could be correct it might have been changed out by a soldier or somebody with a pair of pliers I am, being serious that all the repros including ones from England are all soft steel and bend and flex like crazy. I too noticed the dimples on the rim by the bales that could have just ment that an earlier McCord was reissued with steel swivels. We have places here and abroad that sell reconditioned M1's for sale TOPPOT, AT THE FRONT, J MURRAY and they re-tack the bales, give them a paint job and put repro parts in them on original M1's all the time. That's how they sell them. they also sell original accessories for there shells.

?

M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.Okay, I found some numbers on the rim at the lid of the helmet. It say's B45683. It is stamped under the brim. Pics do not come out clearly but that's the location.

?

Pretty similar to the way the Dutch stamped the Mk2 brodies. Any other country stamped on the rim.

M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.M1 helmet question.Okay, I found some numbers on the rim at the lid of the helmet. It say's B45683. It is stamped under the brim. Pics do not come out clearly but that's the location.
    There you go! original M1. probably had those swivels put on recently. Im not good dating heat lot numbers I used to have a book on Collecting WWII helmets that had heat lot configuration dates, but I lent it out and never got it back.

?

that dose not look like a US heat stamp configuration to me !!

...I can't see anything from these pics.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

if the numbers are stamped right on the edge of the rim then its not a US M-1 but a euro clone for sure.

?

there was two manufacturers Schlueter is one , they mark there helmets with an S And McCord they use an H and # for the heat stamp .sometimes it not center to the brim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast