Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet - Thoughts?

Article about: Hey guys, I picked this M1 helmet steel pot, up over the weekend for a nice price of \\$15. It had a Vietnam era cover on it, I picked it up to go with my Ohio National Guard Military Police H

Default M1 Helmet - Thoughts?

Hey guys, I picked this M1 helmet steel pot, up over the weekend for a nice price of $15. It had a Vietnam era cover on it, I picked it up to go with my Ohio National Guard Military Police Helmet liner dated May 1969.

After I got it home, and had a closer look, I found a fixed bale, front seam helmet (1941-43). Someone had did a number on it and covered the helmet in sharpie marker.

A bit of elbow grease, I got most of the marker off.

I'm guessing the blue paint, was done by a kid some time ago. But on the front looks to be the remains of a Captain's insignia?

What do you guys think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Helmet - Thoughts?   M1 Helmet - Thoughts?  

M1 Helmet - Thoughts?   M1 Helmet - Thoughts?  

M1 Helmet - Thoughts?  

Well done on getting the black sharpie marking off this, looks much better now. Great find for $15!!

That is certainly 100% WWII era texture and paint on the shell. Not sure on the white stripe, could be a captain. Is it replicated in black above? There appears to be a name on the top, Vanidour? An interesting helmet! I wonder if the black markings were part of it's story?

I think the name is Vanldour with an L not an I. Unusual name, no one listed on WW2 enlistment records with that name though so it dates to post WW2.