MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M1 helmet with unknown emblems

Article about: Hey guys, came across this nice helmet that has these strange emblems on the front, anyone know what they are? Here is a link United States Army Military Welfare RED Cross Officers M1 Steel

Default Re: M1 helmet with unknown emblems

The Hawley liner is worth the $350'starting bid IMHO.

?

The pin on it is for American Red Cross the helmet is definitely put together it would not make sense for an early ww2 helmet to have a 50s era badge on it. The blue officers badge is from the 50s

Quote by anton67 View Post
    The Hawley liner is worth the $350'starting bid IMHO.
    that Hawley is worth a good amount its in very good condition as for the shell its a Early fixed bale (the adjusting webbed chinstrap is torn off), that being said even with the 50's era emblem its a very nice. I agree nor disagree with gel65 but it could have been put on there by a WWII vet that maybe was in the Korean conflict, could have been put on there by him or her or like I said Civilian civil service member, I don't know I think it tells a story though this helmet might fetch into that 700-800 dollar USD bracket be prepared for that, especially with that beautiful Hawley liner I want one of those myself.

Yea i wanted it for the liner alone was just curious with the badges. it makes sense if it is post war bwcause the helmet was resprayed for post war color od. im doing everything i can to get it

Quote by carlarganda View Post
    Yea i wanted it for the liner alone was just curious with the badges. it makes sense if it is post war bwcause the helmet was resprayed for post war color od. im doing everything i can to get it
    absolutely,I agree, he has enough detailed pictures too of the inside brim that shows legitimate patina and some rust. Did you notice the Low heat lot number?? 76B!! That is Early early I want to say 1941-early 42 I haven't seen a low heatlot number like that in a long while my WWII M1-C is a 128A I think, goodluck with this, Im watching it out of curiosity. God speed Majortom

The Hawley is not in that great of shape. Look at the front of it.
    Hawleys are down right now.
    Here is one that sold on ebay for less than $400 USD: Wwii U S Army M1 Helmet Liner From South Pacific | eBay
    Still it is worth $350.00.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    The Hawley is not in that great of shape. Look at the front of it.
    Hawleys are down right now.
    Here is one that sold on ebay for less than $400 USD: Wwii U S Army M1 Helmet Liner From South Pacific | eBay
    Still it is worth $350.00.
    I understand what you saying anton67, I did notice the front, even with it alittle mared in the front its still a collectible set I like this Hawley its not that bad and yes the economy is driving these down alittle, however the WWII hobby of collecting is still very very active and some of these pieces are becoming very hard to find. Its still about supply and demand, my personal opinion on fair market value for this piece is 450-500 USD, 700-800 is a bidding war if a few people really want this piece. Look at Vietnam helmets those are going up now and the WWII infantry stuff is all up, the exciting thing about this isn't just the price but finding it and relating the fundamental history to other collectors to a piece like this. I still believe in this helmet, its a early shell with its original early liner.

?

The liner is poor and as anton67 said the market is down 450 seems quite high I know where there are some that are stone mint fix bale with painted insignia sitting for good prices Hawley liners are slow right now you cannot assume that the market will just bounce back to where it was

Quote by gel65 View Post
    The liner is poor and as anton67 said the market is down 450 seems quite high I know where there are some that are stone mint fix bale with painted insignia sitting for good prices Hawley liners are slow right now you cannot assume that the market will just bounce back to where it was
    gel65, Im talking mainly about the whole set not just the Liner, that early M1 McChord with a heatlot #76 that is a 200 USD anyway you look at it, If you know a place that is selling a set like this under 350.00 or a early McChord or Shlueter I want to know where, the liner is not mint but in good condition, However the prices reflect where you live as well, here in Seattle that set would go for 500-600 easy at a collectors market or Antique mall maybe back east the same, down south 300-400 roughly with the history behind it. I don't think that is a unrealistic quote and as far as the market is concerned you are correct, however I have seen this hobby bounce up and down in my 20+ years of collecting M1 helmets when I was your age these helmets where extremely cheap and you could find them at every surplus outlet for 20-30.00 now you would be lucky to find a complete Vietnam paratrooper shell that is complete for under 100 USD. It is was it is. Rightnow the price is sitting at 317.00. let see what happens. I don't think this set should be dismissed cause of the brim being alittle torn. I like helmets that have history to them. its to bad we don't know the history of this piece and again if you know a place that is selling fixed Bales cheap I being serious I would like to know, Im always looking for that type of M1.

?

The one I know of has provenance the man was KIA and is excellent condition for 450 I believe from a seller I know these helmets are rare. I would agree to helmet is worth some money just not what the seller is asking and by the looks of the auction I think this helmet is going to go for much more

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast