Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

Article about: I'm really a M1 novice, not knowing much about them. I've had this helmet for 20 years, it may be ex-NZ Army but I'm not sure. The only marks I can see in the shell, is a stamped mark faintl

Thanks Sleepwalker, that's a lot of interesting information. I got it from a surplus dealer who bought a lot of stuff from the NZ Army, they did use M1 helmets between 1960 to 2000. But I like your idea of converting it into "Vietnam spec", I do happen to have one of these...

M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

ONE Original USED Vietnam War US M1 Steel Helmet ChinStrap w/BLACK Metal Hrdwr | eBay

This is the guy I’ve used for chinstraps and have not been disappointed.
    The cover you have will work really well.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    ONE Original USED Vietnam War US M1 Steel Helmet ChinStrap w/BLACK Metal Hrdwr | eBay

This is the guy I’ve used for chinstraps and have not been disappointed.
    The cover you have will work really well.

Marty
    Cheers for the link Marty, I bought a M51 strap off him to restore my late model M51 helmet (need the chin strap metal size slider) just waiting on it.

Following Sleepwalker's advice I've begun a tranformation of the helmet from 1980's spec to Vietnam war era spec. I've received now a chin strap and helmet band which I think is "Vietnam era" NOS. The chin strap appears to be the para type both metal catches are marked "P", the helmet band is with out the "cats eyes". The existing head band in the liner is 1968 dated, neck band looks like 1970. What do you guys think, is the chin strap correct to fit?

M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?M1 helmet; What's the pedigree here?

Sorry Mate no the chin strap is incorrect as the liner has no female snap for the chin strap to connect to for para jumps plus no A webbing liner chin strap connection.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-05-2020 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2