Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 helmets getting expensive?

Article about: by Walkwolf Gone are the days of the complete \\$25 WWII US M1 helmet.............! What happened ? Several epic Hollywood war movies in the past ten years or so. You are correct about the mov

?

Default M1 helmets getting expensive?

Just saw this go on Ebay for $531.95.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Admittedly it's a Hawley liner but that's a big price. Right into German helmet territory. Is it worth it? Also you can see that one of the fixed bails is missing which the seller carefully avoided pointing out. It's not as if there's anything in the way of provenance to go with it. Some frantic bidding, $100 increments.

I recently got my M1 collection started with a couple of liners. Of course the nape straps, leather chin straps and sweatband were missing. Idly checking ebay for possible replacements. I was amazed to see some serious prices. For example there's an original leather chinstrap. The guy is looking for $225!

I also see sellers breaking up helmets and selling them all separately, liner, helmet, nape strap, sweatband, chinstrap.

That's a pity. You lose a little bit of the history.

?

Default Re: M1 helmets getting expensive?

that was pretty cheap for that helmet the liner alone being that its a mint first pattern fiber liner is worth it in general the price of M-1s have been on the decline.

as for liner parts especially original WW2 liner chin straps they've always been big money as they're so hard to come buy & in some cases braking down a complete helmet to sell for parts can bring more money then selling as a complete unit its sad that this happens & really wish they wouldn't but to some people its more about the money then the history

?

That's interesting, so that buyer might make a profit selling that helmet broken down. Hence the interest. Well I hope it went to someone who'll keep it together. I guess I won't be buying an original chinstraps for my liners then. That strap on ebay is more than I paid for both of them double in fact. I'll get a repro and try and get a reasonable fixed bale shell for my early/midwar liner. I already have a swivel bale front seam on the way for my late war liner.

for all things,,prices are according to what the market will bear

Actually, I bought this one. I bought it because I collect 2nd ID marked M1 helmets. I have a family connection to the 2nd ID, as my Uncle was in the 23rd Reg. He actually landed on 6/6/44 in the second wave, and fought throughout the Normandy campaign and received his million dollar wound, his third, on 9/14/44 during the fight for Brest. The Hawley liner was just a bonus, but will stay with the shell since they may have been together since the War. Here are a few of the 2nd ID pots I have picked up. I have a few more as well, including the one in Painted Steel. The last one shown is has a Lt. Colonel device on the front, with 23rd Reg. devices welded to the sides. I was thrilled when I bought that one. Keep them coming. The more the better. Cheers, Jim G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 helmets getting expensive?   M1 helmets getting expensive?  

M1 helmets getting expensive?   M1 helmets getting expensive?  

M1 helmets getting expensive?  

?

Well glad to see it went to someone who appreciates it and won't split it up. Did you guess that one of the bales is gone? I for one won't be bidding against you if another 2nd ID comes up. Hope you enjoy it.

Hi Noel, Yes, I saw the missing bale/strap. Too bad, but to me not that big a deal, as the insignia was the hook. The paper decal is very similar to the decal on the liner of the M1 which had the insignia removed that I put in this thread, with the trimming of the white border and the fading of the head dress. I have another M1 with the same paper decal, not trimmed, that has the same fading of the head dress. Anyway, I collect for the history, and with the 2nd ID pots in particular, it is sort of a tribute to my Uncle, whom we lost a few Christmas' ago. He was a gentle man, who went through hell in Normandy and Brittany. He was a BAR operator, and wounded 3 times. According to my father, and my aunts, Charlie was never the same after he returned from France. He suffered from nightmares and occasional flashbacks until his death in 2008. We just can't imagine what these men went through. Well, it is back to work for me. Cheers, Jim G.

?

Yes, it's good to have a reason to collect something. I too feel the history in an object. If only they could talk. What things those objects might have seen. My colllection is small. I have an Irish army helmet, a mk 2 Brodie. I wore one when in the service in the eighties. But even then I knew it had come down from the 1940s and had been sent from Britain. Who knows what service it saw. My pride and joy right now is a WW1 British made Brodie mark I that was issued to the Americans. But to me it represents the service of both my Grandfathers who fought in WW1 in the British army. I have no idea where or in what regiments because they were long dead when I was born and in any case that generation never talked of it, least of all in post independence Ireland. All I know is that one was wounded in action. When I look at it, it reminds me. I have no connection to WW2, my Father stayed out of it but I still like the WW2 stuff.

We are so lucky not to have experienced what these ordinary men had to face. My job has it's dangerous and scary moments but it's dull in comparision to what they lived through.

That's the fascination of militaria to me.

Gone are the days of the complete $25 WWII US M1 helmet.............!

What happened ? Several epic Hollywood war movies
    in the past ten years or so.
    Regards,

Steve.

Jim I really really like the second division helmet and the fallow me helmet also.
    I knew you had some good M1 helmets .
    They are so hard to find.Super helmet.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast