Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 for I.D.

Article about: Could anyone estimate the date of manufacture of my M1 shell please, there is a batch code stamped inside which could be either 0544 or 0514 I can't find any other markings. The helmet is re

Default M1 for I.D.

Could anyone estimate the date of manufacture of my M1 shell please, there is a batch code stamped inside which could be either 0544 or 0514 I can't find any other markings. The helmet is rear seam with corrosion at the seam and stress cracks in places, is it wartime production or later, grateful for any opinions.

Apologies for the blur of the interior pics, very difficult to get a decent shot of.

Phil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 for I.D.   M1 for I.D.  

M1 for I.D.   M1 for I.D.  

M1 for I.D.   M1 for I.D.  

Depends on the size of the font stamps-what can tell you it was produced between 1968-1976.

Thank you, the numbers are small, about 7 to 8 mm I would say. What are the main indicators for your date rudders ?

I have a WWII fixed bale shell and the numbers on that are much larger than those on my pictured example.

Indicator's good question! living and breathing M1's for 7 years i guess.small font means a Canadian produced shell by R.J STAMPINGS COMPANY LTD,MONTREAL QUEBEC.
    There were 5 companies that contracted for the production of the M1 steel pot from 1941-1976.all 5 companies used a distinctive way of placing there heat treatment stamping marks.differant variations within these stamps also exist maybe production faults!books only show ww2 made shells not postwar this is learn't through common knowledge with other collectors and sellers.

Thanks rudders, good info and thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it takes time and study to learn all this stuff but it is invaluable info to those of us who are still learning.

Phil

Thanks Phil,we are all here to learn and help each other out!if ever in doubt post up here before purchasing,this forum has been a education and money saver to so many by so many.!