Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M1 ID Question

Article about: Is there a simple way to ID an early M1 shell from a Vietnam era shell besides placing them side by side and looking at height? We have one now that I belive is Vietnam era, based on the chi

Default M1 ID Question

Is there a simple way to ID an early M1 shell from a Vietnam era shell besides placing them side by side and looking at height? We have one now that I belive is Vietnam era, based on the chin strap, but that really is not conclusive I know however, I hope I am correct as we have it dressed up like a Vietnam Era helmet. I want to get another M1 for my son, an early era and dress it like WWII for his display. Always running across shells, at a good price but I have no idea how to ID one from the other with only one in my hand.

Any hints or tips?

Russ & Son

Default Re: M1 ID Question

Usually, a WWII US M1 helmet will have a front seam and 'fixed bales' ( what the straps are attached to ! ) The 'swivel bail' type came out late WWII, but are sometimes considered
    to be post war. Plus, there will also be 'lot numbers' etc, found stamped
    on the inside of the visor rim.

There are typically three chinstrap systems to look for: WWII sewn-on type, with khaki
    coloured material which carried over to the Korean war, a 'bracket' type, that replace
    worn or missing sewn straps and are later - these clamp on to the bails - and clip-on
    solid metal type that are more recent.

The colour of the helmet will sometimes be a good clue too, as most WWII helmets
    are rather dark green with rough texture and later helmets a lighter shade of green.
    Some helmets are found repainted as well.

Google 'M1 helmets' and you should be able to find good information on-line
    that will be much better than me trying to explain...................!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-04-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: M1 ID Question

I should have included that ours is a swivel bale, understand they started this in 1943?