Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 with inscripiton 'WS' and white liner: Authentic US WW2? MP?

Article about: Dear all, May I ask you also about this M1 concerning its authenticity US WW II please? What's the meaning of 'WS'? Because of the liner it's a MP helmet? With best wishes alter musketier

Default M1 with inscripiton 'WS' and white liner: Authentic US WW2? MP?

Dear all,

May I ask you also about this M1 concerning its authenticity US WW II please? What's the meaning of 'WS'? Because of the liner it's a MP helmet?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

The steel helmet looks absolutely legitimate, including the "WS" on the front. That fat stencil is typical and I'd say original. Whether it's the soldier's initials or something else, I don't know. And the liner may be for an MP, and may or may not be original to the shell.

Dear gitana,

Thank you very much for your answer. Maybe do you know in which circumstances the soldiers placed their initials on the helmets? Maybe during basic training or during garrison duties?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

I very much doubt these are the wearer's initials. It must be for some sort of function.

?

I agree, I don't think it's his initials either. Here's one with a similar 'S4' (Supply).
    As to where soldiers put their names or initials, typically it was done inside the helmet or liner. However, I've seen photos of helmet liners with pieces of tape across the front and each person's name on it. It would not have normally been done in the front on the helmet shell (unless maybe an officer in peacetime).

You need to find out what 'WS' means.
    Wing Support (AAF) ?
    Water Supply ?
    Walrus Stabber ?