Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover

Article about: Hi guys I have an interesting helmet for you to view. The helmet is a Korean War period McCord manufactured helmet with the heat stamp number of M-149A. It also retains on the straps the gre

Default M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover

Hi guys I have an interesting helmet for you to view. The helmet is a Korean War period McCord manufactured helmet with the heat stamp number of M-149A. It also retains on the straps the green OD paint. The liner is a WW2 Firestone liner and has from what I can tell, had 3 different coats of paint where it has chipped away (see pics). There also seems to have been some type of decal but not much left of it now. The liner still has its WW2 period headband and has a 1951 dated neck band. The helmet cover is a WW2 USMC mosquito veil. These helmet cover veils I have seen being used in period pictures from WW2, the Korean War and the Vietnam war. You see a lot of these for sale at the moment in new and unused condition but this one is well used as you can see the scrim/foliage band has faded to a light khaki colour but the unissued ones are green. The top of the helmet is very rusted so was probably kept this way down when wet and the cover is also worn away at the top with a lot of rust bleed present. The cover is very tight fitting to the helmet and is in a very delicate and fragile state, the net/veil itself is not faded like the cover (probably due to being kept between the helmet and liner) and is missing only one of its tie cords. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover   M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover  

M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover   M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover  

M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover   M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover  

M1 Korean War with USMC mosquito helmet cover  

?

Hi
    nice helmet there i'v seen the mosquito helmet cover a few times on Ebay i think i might add one to my collection

They are a hell of a lot more affordable than the USMC reversible helmet covers but would still like one

Another great pot Ian,from your fab collection mate,this deffo has the been there and done it look,proper field-service Helmet.

Thanks Jake. I have a few more M1s to put up on here along with a few M1Cs as well. So watch this space