Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 liner - Firestone - 79th Lorraine Division

Article about: This helmet liner was part of a pretty neat historical grouping that I've posted elsewhere but thought this liner should be shown alone given the condition. I don't see ones like this often.

MAP
    ?

Default M1 liner - Firestone - 79th Lorraine Division

This helmet liner was part of a pretty neat historical grouping that I've posted elsewhere but thought this liner should be shown alone given the condition. I don't see ones like this often.

A near mint mid war M1 liner by Firestone with a 79th Division decal.

Named inside as well as his the unit. It did not come with nor does it look like it was ever worn with a shell. This may make some sense in that it was owned by Lt Col, so he might not have worn it all that often.

And yes...Capt bars on a helmet owned by a Lt Col you say?? No, it doesn't make sense, but it is a direct purchase from the wife of the late vet so if you want to know "the rest of the story" (which is very interesting), see the link below

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very neat ensemble MAP, as you say the liner has hardly been used, perhaps for dress parades only. Great items to own and research into. Thank you for posting.

lovely example, displays well without a shell.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Very neat ensemble MAP, as you say the liner has hardly been used, perhaps for dress parades only. Great items to own and research into. Thank you for posting.
    Quote by greatwhite View Post
    lovely example, displays well without a shell.
    Thanks guys. I will display it next to the M1917A1 Kelly once I get it all set up.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice liner, most likely added the insignia and decal during the occupation period. The wartime ones are usually hand painted.

MAP
    ?

Quote by gel65 View Post
    Nice liner, most likely added the insignia and decal during the occupation period. The wartime ones are usually hand painted.
    Thanks Gel. Very possible that the decal was added during the occupation. He retired in 1948 and we were told that he stayed in Europe post war as part of the military gov't.

The Captain bars? That is one I haven't figured out yet. Some people suggested his rank was lowered post war but he was a major prior to WW2 and retired as a full bird. So that option is out.

One option, which is just a thought, is that his son added the bars. I have yet to do research, but I know his son was a Captain in the army and was also told that his son graduated from West Point. At 18 years old, that would have been 1942/43. Too late to be in the war, but maybe possible that upon graduation, he at one point in his army career was assigned to the 79th, and used his fathers helmet.

Just a thought. But an interesting one to follow up on.

Great liner Map. Well deserving of an individual post. Congrats.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Great liner Map. Well deserving of an individual post. Congrats.
    John
    Thanks John. I would agree. It just got "lost" in the larger thread that was really focused on the Pearl Harbor helmet.