m1 & m2 info please
Hi guys. Ive just joined this forum cause it looks like you guys know your stuff and was wondering if someone can help me please?
I can not call myself a collector as i only have a few items so far, but i find it really intresting.
I have just aquired 2 helmets from the same guy late last year and I have done a bit of research on them but theres only so much you can learn from the net.
They were sold to me as just ww2 helmets. They appear to have been together for a long time as both of them had red paint on them and swastikers written in pencil on the sides of the liners.
The first appears to be a front seam fixed bail m1 with a mine safety appliance liner heat stamp number 544A.
The second is very interesting as it appears to be a front seam dbale with both its bales intact and its chin straps, heatstamp number 102C. There is black numbers inside the pot 32736. Unfortunatly it came with a westinghouse m1 liner which is great itself but not a para. There are no decals on any of them either.
My questions are if you don't mind:
1. Where in my area can i take them to be authenticated ( Scotland)
2. Could anybody date the heat stamps please?
3. Do the black numbers mean anything to anybody?
4. Roughly how many m2 helmets still exist or is that a daft question?
5. Is it common for m2s not to have decals?
6. If they are real should i include them on my house insurance?
Im not very good with computers and if you want I will try again to put some pictures on. I tried twice last night and failed and Im still typing with one finger (haha). I will check this thread at nights after my kids are in bed.
Thanks again all