Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Medic helmet

Article about: Hi fellow Collectors, here's an M1 Medic helmet I have had in my collection for a few years now, the chinstraps are not original, and in no way am I 100% sure the Red cross's are original, b

?

Default M1 Medic helmet

Hi fellow Collectors, here's an M1 Medic helmet I have had in my collection for a few years now, the chinstraps are not original, and in no way am I 100% sure the Red cross's are original, but this is how I purchased it at the time.
    What puzzles me the most is why there are holes next to the liner chinstrap fixtures, and why it has the cut out's near the bales??

I would be very keen to read any theories on why there are holes and the cut out's on the liner.
    Please feel free to comment,regards Opex.

M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet
    M1 Medic helmet

Opex I kinda like it.the white panels look rough and quite old and the x's look field applied,if fake they have been very well done indeed.for me the mysterious band running round the shell (maybe tape residue) or some sort of marking either way it adds a nice touch to the lid,havn't a clue on the liner being all chopped up,displays ok to me.......

Hi Opex, I have a liner like this with extra holes at the sides though they are nearer the rim.
    My one came with a make shift chinstrap riveted to these holes obviously because the leather chin strap had been missing or broken and whoever owned it wanted to have one.
    This may be the case with yours but your make shift chinstrap may have been removed and a leather one fitted again to the snaps.

Just a theory
    Rod

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Opex I kinda like it.the white panels look rough and quite old and the x's look field applied,if fake they have been very well done indeed.for me the mysterious band running round the shell (maybe tape residue) or some sort of marking either way it adds a nice touch to the lid,havn't a clue on the liner being all chopped up,displays ok to me.......
    Hi Jake, thanks for the compliments, I also think that the band around the shell might be tape residue,but not sure why this would be as it does not line up with the Red cross's in anyway,it has always puzzled me ???

I have only ever seen a similar liner that was inside a fixed bale shell, the cut out's were supposedly to allow the net to fit comfortably between the shell and liner, as the bales are obviously are close to the rim ??

Thanks, much appreciated.

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Hi Opex, I have a liner like this with extra holes at the sides though they are nearer the rim.
    My one came with a make shift chinstrap riveted to these holes obviously because the leather chin strap had been missing or broken and whoever owned it wanted to have one.
    This may be the case with yours but your make shift chinstrap may have been removed and a leather one fitted again to the snaps.

Just a theory
    Rod

Hi Rod, thanks for looking and the theory which makes sense , I did at one point think the holes might have been for a male popper,for M2 type chinstraps to snap onto,but I guess they are in the wrong place??

Many thanks again.

I too had a liner with extra holes in it.
    I wondered about it myself but never did figure it out.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    I too had a liner with extra holes in it.
    I wondered about it myself but never did figure it out.
    That's good to know, it's a puzzling aspect for sure!

Regards,Opex

I thought maybe someone was trying to make an AB liner out of it (adding the female snaps), but just a theory.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    I thought maybe someone was trying to make an AB liner out of it (adding the female snaps), but just a theory.
    I am with you on that one, it is the only possible reason I can think of, and my initial hunch!

could just be a manufacturers mistake when they made the holes for the leather chinstrap pieces. it may have been cut on top to fit the bales of a helmet better. either it may have had a different pot where the balees lined up or maybe it ounce had a cover or net on it. some of you may know how it is when yyou put a cover or net on the helmet and the liner sticks out instead of fitting in correctly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast