MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an M1 net?

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Since becoming interested in the venerable M1 a few months ago I have enjoyed "self teaching" (which an experienced collector should be able to do in any new

Default Is this an M1 net?

Good afternoon gents,

Since becoming interested in the venerable M1 a few months ago I have enjoyed "self teaching" (which an experienced collector should be able to do in any new area of the hobby) and have learned a great deal just from reading and soaking up the knowledge here.

Sometimes though, you can't work it out by research alone and have to ask faily elementary questions.

The net pictured here was represented to me as a WWII M1 net but I really doubt this.
    Firstly it is synthetic which I don't think it should be. Also it is of woven rather than knotted construction.

All the wartime nets I have seen from any nation have been of knotted construction and of natural fibre. All the US nets I have encountered have either had much smaller or much larger squares than this one which has 1" / 2.5cm squares.

I think I have seen similars nets to this on post war european helmets but can't place it. I would be happy to be wrong here but would be equally happy to know if this is genuine net of any period or nation or even if it is an outright fake.

Either way it didn't cost me anything but the question needs an answer if only to get rid of that unpleasant "I don't know" feeling.

Any opinions are welcome

Regards

MarkIs this an M1 net?Is this an M1 net?Is this an M1 net?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hi Mark, A bigger picture of the whole net would be better, but from those, I would say not WW2. As most nets used by the US in WW2 were British made.
    Have a look on, British & Canadian nets & netted helmets.

Thanks Aaron, especially for reminding me that some British nets were woven rather than knotted. How could I forget, I used to wear one

Anyway, here is another pic of the one I was asking about fully opened out.

The more I look at it the more I am thinking that it is european and it reminds me of the nets I recall Bundeswehr colleagues wearing.

Regards

MarkIs this an M1 net?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Definitely not WW II. Made of modern synthetic thread.