Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 - obscure red cross

Article about: I was curious about the marking on this helmet. Front seam, swivel bale. Was the cross painted post war? It's not to medic regulation, but appears to have aged with the helmet. There's alway

Default M1 - obscure red cross

I was curious about the marking on this helmet. Front seam, swivel bale. Was the cross painted post war? It's not to medic regulation, but appears to have aged with the helmet.

M1 - obscure red cross M1 - obscure red cross

There's always the possibility it was used as a prop.
    Last edited by Perspectivist; 02-26-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Default Re: M1 - obscure red cross

Might be post war for Korea and Vietnam as they were reused.

I had bids on this one. Sold for $125 if I correctly remember. Personally I think it's original World War Two. Towards the end of the war, snipers were picking out medics which caused many doc's to remove the white circles on the helmet. Just my input.

Quote by Gunakibomb View Post
    I had bids on this one. Sold for $125 if I correctly remember. Personally I think it's original World War Two. Towards the end of the war, snipers were picking out medics which caused many doc's to remove the white circles on the helmet. Just my input.
    I agree, it was not uncommon in the Pacific theater for Medics to avoid the white field for fear of snipers. I have a very similar example. If I had seen this one I would have bought it. I think it is WWII vintage all the way. Jim G.

i have just purchased a fixed bale medic helmet and it shows traces of a white circle that no longer exists and a new red cross is present. i think this is why my helmet is like this too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 - obscure red cross  

Danny, I just fear that the cross on yours isn't aged with the rest of the helmet. Just my opinion. And that it has been repainted.

i was told that it has arrived at the post office last friday and i just got back from vacatio today so we will see monday!

Let me know how it looks! You've got me excited.
    Brian.

ok

Here it is, it went for $127.50 with 12 shipping. I wouldn't mind having it, but there wasn't enough info at the time. Here is the link for future reference. Vintage Army Helmet Red Cross | eBay

One day I will post all my ended M1 ebay auction links for a rough price reference. One can compare the impact of pictures, titles, and condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast