Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Paint

Article about: Hey everyone, ive started this as a seperate thread because id like your opinion on the paint. I ordered this helmet as shown on this thread: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1-...nam-m1-28

Default M1 Paint

Hey everyone, ive started this as a seperate thread because id like your opinion on the paint. I ordered this helmet as shown on this thread: Vietnam M1
    It came today and when i removed the cover to check the condition i noticed the colour of the paint, i cant make my mind up with the paint on the shell? I have put it next to one of my other M1's for comparison. I dont know if the photos show it but it is almost like a cross between a tan colour and light green? Its not a modern paint job but i cant seem to find any like it colour wise? The shell itself has the heat stamp and the chinstraps have the anchor mark on so it is not a euro clone. Looking at the paint, i feel it is too neatly applied to have been done "in the field" so i am assuming it was done later. You cant still see the original green on the inside of the shell. My opinion, is that this is helmet used in the middle east and someone has put a Vietnam cover on it?

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you

PS. Does anyone know how i can date the mitchell cover?..I know, im asking a lot
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

Default Re: M1 Paint

Well I reckon Middle East as thats non-US issue colou.I.M.H.O................Jake.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well I reckon Middle East as thats non-US issue colou.I.M.H.O................Jake.
    Thats what i thought. I was thinking perhaps Israeli. It came with the Mitchell cover which i think i will pop on my other vietnam era helmet as i prefer this as a stand alone example because of the colour.

the "mitchell" info is on one of the desert sided flaps,show a pic then we can tell you.......Jake.

the "mitchell" info is on one of the desert sided flaps,show a pic then we can tell you.......Jake.
    Fab, here you go... Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint  

Ok this type of stamping means these were government contracted and were all produced between 1964/65,you wont see these stamps outside of this period,all other years have either DLA or DSA-100 followed by the year I.E DSA-100-67.meaning obviously made in 1967 and so on hope this helps................Jake.

Ok this type of stamping means these were government contracted and were all produced between 1964/65,you wont see these stamps outside of this period,all other years have either DLA or DSA-100 followed by the year I.E DSA-100-67.meaning obviously made in 1967 and so on hope this helps................Jake.
    Great thanks, am i right in thinking the 60's covers are harder to come by than the later ones?

Ok the rarest are the first ones produced through the "marine supply"system between 1959-1962,they have a white sewn in label.the rest of production from 1964 onwards are all fairly common as they were mass produced....the ERDL duck covers are rare first being made in 1969 check out Nicks thread on his one recently aquired,the rest right up to 1980's plus are all cheap to buy.......so no need to spend a fortune on a mitchell cover unless you want an early "marine type"I would but very costly indeed............Jake.P.S heres one for sale on ebay up to £60 plus so you now how much they go for an arm and a leg.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint  

I think your helmet may possibly be a Desert Storm bring back , the Iraqi military also used US helmets painted desert tan with camo covers just like it

Iraqi Steel Helmet Liner Kuwait Originally US Army Vietnam Era Helmet Liner | eBay

ebay auction description

I found the helmet & liner in the desert north of Kuwait City following the Gulf War. While worn by an Iraqi soldier this helmet & liner was originally a US Army Vietnam Era "steel pot" and liner.

Liner has stamped information showing date of 29 Sept 66 - M-1 (Infantry) Type 1. I'm including the camo cover that was on it when I found it. Chin strap is missing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint   M1 Paint  

M1 Paint