Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Paint help - WW2?

Article about: Hi friends, I hope everybody is well in these strange times... I just wondered if I could ask your expert advice on this M1 paint please? Sorry, I have trawled through lots of threads but as

?

Default M1 Paint help - WW2?

Hi friends, I hope everybody is well in these strange times... I just wondered if I could ask your expert advice on this M1 paint please? Sorry, I have trawled through lots of threads but as every helmet seems to be different I thought it may just be easier to post...

I think it's a good fixed bail, the strap looks repro, but what do you think to the paint? It seems to be cork, but a lighter OD? Is this war time paint or post? Many thanks for your help as always, Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint help - WW2?   M1 Paint help - WW2?  

M1 Paint help - WW2?   M1 Paint help - WW2?  

Shaun you did a great job in your evaluation. The color is correct for WW2 and the straps do look like reproduction strap but can you take a few pictures to confirm.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Thank you very much for your reply Marty, goof to hear from you.

I've took some pics of the helmet inside the conservatory, its a bit brighter in there. It looks ok, but I really don't know anything about Korean or Vietnam paint. It has definitely had a repaint on outside, but its just if it was war time or not?

Thanks again, Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Paint help - WW2?   M1 Paint help - WW2?  

M1 Paint help - WW2?   M1 Paint help - WW2?  

You have the helmet in hand, can you show us where the different color is showing through? The color did change but a Korean War is generally darker and Vietnam Era is close to this green but I don’t think it Vietnam Era. Do you have pictures of the chinstrap and buckle?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Thanks Marty - please see pics attached. It is hard to see but there is definitely a darker green underneath the current top coat, mainly visible around the rim... and I've shown the straps, but I think they are new!

Thanks again,

Shaun

M1 Paint help - WW2?  

Hi,

in my opinion the helmet became overpainted serveral times.

Far too green for a WW2 paint job.

Where the paint has flaked off you can see the original paint.

Inside you can still see OD7 from the 1950s.

The color outside is likely to be Munsell 10 / Y from the 1960s.

The chin strap looks like a european chin strap for the M1 Klons.

Regards

Of course it is very difficult to judge from even the best pictures unless the colour is totally wrong but to me this helmet looks like it might have been "misted" ie given a light "mist" of paint by way of restoring as is often done by re-enactors.

I am not sufficiently expert to say whether the chinstraps are original but they are definately much "fresher" than the steel. There are some amazingly good repro pieces including those from

J. Murray Inc. 1944

who sell complete originals, new made from original materials and full repro items. So beyond the condition you need an in-hand evaluation from an expert I think.

Whatever is the case with this one I do think it has at least been "breathed on".

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

wwhat I think can definitely be said: The top color table and chin strap are not WW2.

The WW2 texture should be under the color.

?

Thank you for all of the comments gents, really helpful as ever.
    I hadn't seen the J.Murray site before - well worth browsing on there for research alone. He has everything M1!
    Thank you again everyone, stay safe...