Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Ranger helmet?

Article about: Hi guys, Here's for review my M1 helmet I bought a couple of years ago in Germany. It has a ranger emblem on the back, not sure if it's original, I would like to hear your opinion. I had a l

?

Default M1 Ranger helmet?

Hi guys,
    Here's for review my M1 helmet I bought a couple of years ago in Germany.
    It has a ranger emblem on the back, not sure if it's original, I would like to hear your opinion.
    I had a look in the Ranger museum in Normandy, but it's not easy to compare when you
    can't look at them together at the same time.
    It's a Slueter as you can see. I can't see a heat temperature stamp, could be covered in paint,
    there some repainting on the inside too. So it would be dated 1943-1944?
    The chinstraps are post war I think, they are not sewn on.
    Can't find any stamps in the liner, and the leather strap looks a bit new.

regards Menno

M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?M1 Ranger helmet?

Default Re: M1 Ranger helmet?

The way that the chinstrap attaches to a bale is a dead give away to me. If correct WWII vintage, they should be sewn on. This helmet has Vietnam and more recent era metal clips that attach the chinstrap.

Also, the 2nd Rangers diamond looks to be a water transfer decal. I believe the correct insignia was painted on via stencil

?

total piece of junk

Hi
    Ww2 US shell for sure with later chin straps.
    I think that is European clone liner judging from the “A” washers and the leather chinstrap.
    Both obviously have been repainted perhaps more than once, decal may be original but I don’t think ww2 period.
    I haven’t seen a sweatband like that before made in the UK perhaps someone else may enlighten us on that one.
    Just my opinion
    All the best
    Rod

?

It's a WW2 vintage shell, but I'm afraid the rest of it is put together and made up. The pot chinstraps look wrong, even for later American ones. The liner seems to be Euro, liner chinstrap is Euro, decal is fantasy, as is the sweatband stamp.
    It looks like a tourist souvenir shop helmet. Sorry. I hope this did not cost you too much.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

or it could have been a movie prop

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    or it could have been a movie prop
    I thought that too, but the liner chinstrap is visibly the wrong colour, so I am leaning toward tourist souvenir, or a trap for the unwary.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Thanks for the response. Like the idea it's a movie prop.
    I knew the pot chinstraps were wrong, and had my doubts about the decal.
    I had no idea the liner was that wrong also. I paid a fair amount of money for it, but you have to pay your learning money somewhere, don't you.
    At least it's a Slueter shell, less common then a McCord. ("only"2.000.000 made)Or are Slueter's easy to find also.
    regards Menno

ps I also have a shell with a steel frontseal rim. I will post it when I have enough daylight to take a picture.