Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is this m1 real

Article about: lol, i was the same same too, its a bit like love making bud take your time and you will get the results, I may put some pictures up step by step, the helmet that is.

Cheers Gunny , first time i saw it the rim stood out, the i looked closer, front seam then fixed bales then buy it now, yes a little work and tlc, also i have to source a liner straps etc but hey ho thats the way it is.
    Steve

Sean thats a beauty, did you add cork to your paint too? sometime soon although i wont rush i hope to have mine at that standard, as for decals etc not sure what to use yet , nice one thanks for the inspiration.
    Steve

?

Thanks steve I did indeed! What I do is, I spray the first few coats of paint on really heavy being careful not to let the paint run. Then I immediately sprinkle the cork all over the helmet with each coat. Eventually you get a really good covering, I let it dry for a day. Then I take a plastic paint can lid and rub it quite vigorously all over the helmet for about 5-10 mins to get rid of the build up and excess cork, Then you are left with a great textured finish embedded in the paint that I think is very similar to originals. then a few more coats and your good to go! Cheers, Sean.

Super work, father in law is a paint sprayer too so i will all the tools inc an oven if reqd, just have to wait now.

Nice original shell as you stated in OP repaint nice coat of US paint and cork as suggested and you would have a good original WW2 shell and helmet. All parts are available to recondition it. We reconditioned a few US M-1 from WW2 well into the mid 70's I see nothing wrong with it. timothy

Thanks Timothy regards the liner and straps Schlueter only had 10% of production, compared with McCord do the liners differ? as Schlueter has a slight curve in the shape.
    Steve

Not sure but I think liners were interchangeable as we sure changed them out a lot and they fit. I just had a leftover one and put it in my M-1 fixed bale pot it was Koren war era Capac and it fit fine. Straps all the same unless of course airborne. timothy

?

Sean very nice restoration job, really impressed with the finish thanks for sharing

Well it has finally landed back from France overall condition is quite solid,front seam and fixed bale, other than the hole on top (easy repair) bails are solid as is the rim a couple of slight stress cracks very minor, not sure if there is any original paint or cork under the naff paint job but hey ho for £30 i am going to give it a go, right were does one start?, i will also require liner straps etc so if anyone can point me in the right direction i will as always be so grateful
    Steve
    Is this m1 real
    Is this m1 real
    Is this m1 real

?

Great to see it's arrived Steve, Again a bargain for £30! In reply to your previous post, I think any liner should fit a Schlueter shell. I have had many M1's with different liners and as long as they are original US produced they should fit without any issues. They usually always have a bit of room for play anyway I find and I usually then add a net to tighten things up! Just for reference my restored Schlueter shell has a post WW2 Westinghouse liner fitted. As for were to start I am not entirely sure, Are you trying to source the products all in the UK? J Murray J. Murray Inc. 1944 | M1 Helmets in the US does fantastic, Probably the best M1 reproduction items, Helmets, Fitted out liners etc. SOF Soldier Of Fortune Modern Military Re-enactor Airsoft Clothing and Equipment in the UK I do believe are getting better with their reproduction items now. Jim Jacques of World War One Helmets | German World War 2 Helmet | World War Two Militaria | Newton Aycliffe | War Memorabilia sells the cork texture I used and paint. I think I can provide you with the details of the spray I used on mine if you wanted, Think I have it written down somewhere. It's not the exact WW2 OD as far as I know but I compared it by eye and think its close enough. Actually I think SOF claim to sell correct OD paint now. Of the top of my head they are the best leads I can think to give you for starters but if you list exactly what your after I will browse the inter webs and see what I find lol. Depending where the stress cracks you mentioned are Steve, I do believe they are fairly common on wartime M1's Cheers, Sean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast