Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is this m1 real

Article about: lol, i was the same same too, its a bit like love making bud take your time and you will get the results, I may put some pictures up step by step, the helmet that is.

Cheers mate, i will source the liner etc once i am happy with the shell, i have heard of SOF too, may cantact them at a later date for liner and paint, itching to get stuck in however on afternoon shifts this week so weekend it is, first to get all the paint off and have a good look at it, like i say father in law does motor body repairs so pretty much is at hand, there will be no power tools used in this process all hand work if it takes a long time so be it
    steve
    ps if looks half as good as yours i will happy.

?

No worries Steve, I hate that.. Nothing worse for me than knowing I have a lid coming for restoration and not being able to get stuck in right away. In fact I sought of have that feeling right now! I have a German M40 sitting here, Pristine shell, All stripped and ready to go but I am literally skint this month so can't afford around £100 for parts & paint etc and the urge to sell another helmet to fund it is eating away at me. Each time I am waiting on one of my restoration projects it feels like another Christmas. I know, I do need to get out more lol. Best part for me is when the post war paint is stripped and shell sanded. Bare steel like a blank canvas ready for a faithful restoration. I can't wait to see your future updates! Cheers, Sean.

well had a little play i could not help myself, removed a small amount of top coat of paint from the inside underneath is a really bright green almost lime in color i expected to see something a lot darker.

Ok, the sun was out and i had a little time on my hands, lets strip, progress is as expected slow the top coat came off pretty quickly and what is under that has somewhat thrown me, white? no sign of any OD, i have read some were painted white, those based in the UK, MP`s also known as snowdrops and of course winter camo, the white paint is real tough to move so do i go to white and leave it or carry on with strip repair and OD it.
    Is this m1 real
    Is this m1 real
    Is this m1 real

?

That's a real tough one for me Steve. Wait and see what others say first but I would say, Just speculating that it's not period IMO and again I could be wrong but I think MP helmets usually had black stripe markings or MP in black stenciled on the shell, Not sure about the snow camo aspect. The other flag for me is, It looks like an attempted painting of a captains bar on the front and it looks bad. Personally I would carry on stripping but maybe wait for other opinions first. Cheers, Sean.

Cheers bud, the captains bar is the one on the original bodged paint job, just thought i would have seen some OD, not a sniff of it and the white paint is a bugger to get off but i think you are right i will carry on with the initial plan.

?

Ahh yeah forgot that bar was showing from word go lol!

Aik
    ?

.... ...
    Last edited by Aik; 08-10-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: ....

Quote by Aik View Post
    Fake paint and bars and the seam isnt right?
    Fake paint you say,well look at post 5 and Steve has already stated the shell has "false paint" and the "seam isn't right"?why whats wrong with it?its a ww2 front seamed stainless steel rimmed fixed Bale shell................

Aik
    ?

Its possible but i had never seen that seam

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast