Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking

Article about: Hi guys been a while since I’ve posted on the M1 forum. I have here a front seam, fixed bale Schlueter stamped 55A (early to mid 1943). The helmet shows ghosting from a previously used camo

Default M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking

Hi guys been a while since I’ve posted on the M1 forum. I have here a front seam, fixed bale Schlueter stamped 55A (early to mid 1943). The helmet shows ghosting from a previously used camo net and there is also a red painted marking to the front. I have not been able to determine what it signifies as yet so any help would be most appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking   M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  

M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking   M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  

M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking   M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  

M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  

It looks like a upside down red ace of spades. Have no idea what it represents.
    But that’s another nice helmet you have there well done. Hope you find the answer.
    Rod

Bit of a mystery but I like it too.

Really nice early helmet with 1917 buckle and J hook. Is the liner original to the helmet? I wish I could help with the insignia.

Great lid!!!

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Could it perhaps be a painted on rank for a US Military Major?

Hi and thanks Marty, the liner is not original to the helmet that’s why I’m only showing the shell

Here is a close up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  

Could it be a faded or distorted red 6th infantry divison star.

This is just pure speculation,, I have been looking at some unit crests that look like an arrow head device that are red in nature.. I came across the 109th Field Artillery Battalion that is a red arrowhead, but the crest when worn,,, is arrowhead point up not down,,,

This unit was also part of the 28th Infantry Division (The Bloody Bucket) and that is a solid red insignia as well.

Obviously this marking here does not look like the typical 28th Division insignia, but it could have worn over time..

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking 

I tried to enhance the photo and as Smitty stated the insignia could have faded or worn down. The shape to me now looks different
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Schlueter Helmet 55A with unknown marking  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast