Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

M1 Schuleter refurb

Article about: hi steve its looking real nice and to think how it first looked is an amazing transformation ,well done sir

?

Hi Steve, great to see it coming along, you could always try using a heat gun /torch, I got great results on of my past restorations using this type of equipment, the burnt paint literally fell, and I then used some fine wet and dry to remove any remaining residue.

I think the hole in the top could be a cause of fragmentation, but either way hat's off to you for attempting to restore it back to it's former glories. Incidentally I have a Fixed bale Schuleter and there is no sign of the big "S" or a heat stamp

Little update here, well there isnt any as the wife wanted the bedroom decorated , nearly finished it.
    i ordered some bits and bobs a liner ( not happy with it 1972) so i wont be using that, some cork and paint i read that
    RAL 6014 is a pretty close match, this will be used as a top coat i am tempted to use Humbrol and a brush to apply first coat with the cork, i am on the look out for a period liner strap if any has or knows where one is knocking about condition not important as this project will have the used been there ( maybe it did) look,
    Steve
    M1 Schuleter refurb

Good luck overall with the project however might be a tad tricky without incurring high costs for an original chinstrap,especially the early types associated with fixed Bales............

Sorry for the delay guys, anyway helmet now pretty much free of paint, metal insert placed inside the crown this will allow hole to be filled, back on track now, the rim? paint it or leave it, im unsure i do want the used look so maybe leave it.
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb

Repair completed, a little on the inside to smooth down, then primer, paint cork.
    M1 Schuleter refurb

Managed to get a little further, primed , base coat and cork added to one side, pretty happy with it so far, got an old battered Westinghouse liner for it minus the sweatband, chin strap i have is new old stock so i need to age it a little, thoughts advice and tips welcome
    Steve
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb

Well done on your restoration and keep it so it never ends up in the market being sold as original.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Your M35 is possibly a grave marker. They punched holes in the tops so that they could be nailed to the wood posts, and maybe this is the reason for the hole?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for the replies guys, the M1 is staying with me it still has a very long way to go yet,
    Danmark cheers never thought of that, i will when i get round to it start a new thread with better pictures at the moment i have no idea what to do with it.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Your M35 is possibly a grave marker. They punched holes in the tops so that they could be nailed to the wood posts, and maybe this is the reason for the hole?

Dan
    you know what dan i never thought that ,thanks for your thought's here mate
    Regards James

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast