Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

M1 Schuleter refurb

Article about: hi steve its looking real nice and to think how it first looked is an amazing transformation ,well done sir

Default M1 Schuleter refurb

Hi, guys a follow up on another thread, i have what i believe (hope) to be a front seam fixed bale Schuleter, purchased from France it arrived poorly painted and with a badly repaired hole, i have since decided to strip this baby right back and restore it, to my suprise i have not seen any OD paint maybe it has been stripped before, what i do have is a white, brushed on and somewhat difficult to remove under that nothing, i have also been searching for the elusive S, no luck there, the hole will be repaired this weekend and i will keep this updated, my question to those that have done this before involves the repaint, brush or spray? helmet will also be corked i would like it to have the used look too any advice tips links etc would be great, thanks in advance, pictures start from receiving to current state during the strip.
    Steve
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb
    M1 Schuleter refurb

could be a restored relic?
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Thanks, about to be restored again hopefully better than the last job, there is not much rust at all and although the pictures look like its pitted it isnt, quite smooth really.

?

Now looking at these pics again I would agree with Matt, It does look like a restored semi relic and as we talked about Steve, It would more so explain the lack of any OD paint and also why you can't find the S stamp. Hand painting with texture is much easier as it spreads the texture out evenly with minimum effort. I prefer doing it spray personally but the technique of applying texture and evenly so can be more tricky unless you have a spray gun. I think either way should look as good as it was done both ways during the war. Factory level sprayed with cork then hand painting by troops in the field was common place. I couldn't comment about the aging process as I don't tend to age my restorations. Can't wait to see this lid come along Steve! Cheers, Sean.

Cheers Sean sure looking that way, the stainless rim and bales are in very good condition surely they were not replaced? and that bloody hole, why go through an entire strip and not repair that properly, who knows if only it could talk, but like i say i will take my time with it hopefully restore some of its former glory
    Steve

Quote by seandm View Post
    Now looking at these pics again I would agree with Matt, It does look like a restored semi relic and as we talked about Steve, It would more so explain the lack of any OD paint and also why you can't find the S stamp. Hand painting with texture is much easier as it spreads the texture out evenly with minimum effort. I prefer doing it spray personally but the technique of applying texture and evenly so can be more tricky unless you have a spray gun. I think either way should look as good as it was done both ways during the war. Factory level sprayed with cork then hand painting by troops in the field was common place. I couldn't comment about the aging process as I don't tend to age my restorations. Can't wait to see this lid come along Steve! Cheers, Sean.
    Best Regards Matt

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Cheers Sean sure looking that way, the stainless rim and bales are in very good condition surely they were not replaced? and that bloody hole, why go through an entire strip and not repair that properly, who knows if only it could talk, but like i say i will take my time with it hopefully restore some of its former glory
    Steve
    Maybe someone put in allot of time and effort to restore the shell but got the wrong paint.
    Best Regards Matt

?

I would think surely not as well Steve. I think this is a semi relic that was possibly stored for some time outside upside down hence why it seems more aged on top and better at the bottom. Like you say though, If only it could talk! Cheers, Sean.

this is fine example of a relic well worth restoring and i see your well under way steveill tag in just to see how the restoration goes if you dont mind ,i wonder if the crown hole was caused by a stray round ,ill ask around about the paint finish your after ,im sure i can contact a bloke who has done this before on an m1 with great results too ,ill drop him a line mate
    Regards James

?

Hi Steve, a number of years ago I restored an M1 back to it's former glories, I experimented with a number of processes to get an authentic finish, if you want to drop me a PM I would be more than happy to share my techniques with you.

And an easy and relatively cheap way to match the colour is to buy at least 6 tin's of Humbrol 155 from your local modelling shop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast