Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 from Slapton

Article about: Hi. Thought id show you all some pics of my front seam, swivel bale M1 helmet. I bought it at a local general sale auction couple of years ago. It was found in the attic of a house in Slapto

Default M1 from Slapton

Hi. Thought id show you all some pics of my front seam, swivel bale M1 helmet. I bought it at a local general sale auction couple of years ago. It was found in the attic of a house in Slapton after the elderly owner had passed away and the house was cleared. I dont need to tell you all about the significance of Slapton during the preparations for D-Day.
    The helmet is in fantastic condition with hardly any wear to it. It also came with an original cap comforter! The only markings i can find on the shell is the number 10 stamped at the front under the visor. Also in the crown of the liner is the letter M below a cigar shaped symbol all inside a circle.
    Any more info on the helmet that anyone can provide would be much appreciated ie date of issue, maker etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 from Slapton   M1 from Slapton  

M1 from Slapton   M1 from Slapton  

M1 from Slapton  

Default Re: M1 from Slapton

Just had another look at the symbol inside the liner and i may have read it upside down! So it looks like a W above an oval inside a circle with the number 8 above it outside the circle!

?

the W in the circle means it was made by a company called WESTINHOUSE a very common WW2 liner to be found.

it all looks to be in near mint condition all in all a very nice looking M-1.

Cheers Nick. Would you also know what date it was issued? It looks as though its never been worn!

?

it dates from November 1943 onwards as this is when the swivel bail was introduced.

?

Hi MrNosey

A very nice piece you have there, and a rare find these days in such mint condition, plus the Jeep cap is even rarer than the helmet, as those things have been faked and reproduced for years. The fact this helmet is as good as brand new I wonder if it was issued for the mock landings and if so I also what happened to its original owner and as a result I also have to wonder was he one of the 750 odd victims of that tragic day.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Great find. I love the jeep cap............................!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I can remember when you could find original beanie hats for next to nothing on the markets , i had 10 of them at one time , some with wear around the brim of the peak and some with moth holes, but can you find one now in original condition, can you hell as like,ive been after one for a couple of years now

Thanks guys..I didnt realise the jeep cap was a rare item. Its in as good a condition as the helmet. My guess is that the helmet could have been a gift or exchange for goods by a GI to a local resident or kid from one of the villages before they were evacuated before the exercise started. Guess we'll never know.