Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Steel Helmet, Front Seam.

Article about: Good morning (or night) everybody! I have been learning a lot since joining this website forum. I have no idea about helmets though, but I have some pictures. I came across this helmet, I th

Default M1 Steel Helmet, Front Seam.

Good morning (or night) everybody! I have been learning a lot since joining this website forum. I have no idea about helmets though, but I have some pictures. I came across this helmet, I think it's a M1? The other helmet I was thinking is the insert for the M1, But I have no idea. From what I have picked up the helmet appears to have a front seam (is that the right terminology?) What do y'all think?

M1 Steel Helmet, Front Seam.M1 Steel Helmet, Front Seam.

Default Re: M1 Steel Helmet, Front Seam.

Hi shell is indeed ww2 US front seamed with heavy postwar repaint,liner is none US danish clone type liner hope this helps.....Jake.

?

Jake has summed it up nicely. Danish Liner with a WWII Front Seam US shell.

Dutch Air Force liner. See neck strap wqith two buttons on one side (so not removable) and sweat band uses press buttons, which is uniquely Dutch. The Dutch used M-1 shell's as well, but refurbished. New paint and no corking. This shell is not Dutch used.

To my mind put together for commercial reasons. Too bad the chinstrap is cut.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thank you for your response @ruddersrangers44, I have not seen any danish WW2 stuff yet, so that's pretty cool!
    @Nitram Thank you for your response!
    @emileverbunt Thank's for your response. So the liner was never used then? It does have someone's name in it though, but I do not know if that's from the war or just afterwords, (the ink looks too new). So you would say to sell both as one lot? I was thinking the shell might be worth about $20.00, but with a liner?

From Alex

Hi Alex,

The liner is Dutch and was used by the Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNAF). The shell of US manufacture, is not Dutch used.

The liner might be marked in the inside top i.e. SW78 of U's84 or such like.

Cheers,
    Emile

@emileverbunt I am so sorry that I have not responded to you, (that was very rude of me!) You were right the liner was marked SW78. I have no idea how I did not see that marking!

From Alex