MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1 US helmet dated 1945

Article about: by Jim Sobery I've taken the shell out into the sunlight and looked carefully for the number inside the shell as you suggested, Nick. I'm unable to see any impression under the paint anywher

Default M1 US helmet dated 1945

My father in law entered the US Army Air Force in 1941 and retired twenty years later. The helmet he kept shows little use and the rear web liner markings are "W-11-009-??-35269 1945 PKW" and "W199 QM 33599 Gem-Dandy, Inc." The outer helmet shell finish has some sand grains under the paint and I wonder if the finish is original to the liner date of 1945. Any other information, details or observations you are able to add would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 US helmet dated 1945   M1 US helmet dated 1945  

M1 US helmet dated 1945   M1 US helmet dated 1945  

Default Re: M1 US helmet dated 1945

Quote by Jim Sobery View Post
    The outer helmet shell finish has some sand grains under the paint and I wonder if the finish is original to the liner date of 1945. Any other information, details or observations you are able to add would be appreciated.
    Hello Jim,

Closer pic's for a better evaluation of paint on liner would be better Jim.

Also your father inlaw joining service of 1941, i would expect him to be issued with a fixed bail helmet and not swivel bail type ??

I cant tell by those pics ,but is there a seam join at front or rear of lid on the outer rim edge ??

Is the sand cork maybe? (use your thumb nail to test) If it is it will be a '45 type. Very late helmets went to a steel band and had a rear seam as it appears in the pics.

Regards

René

also check for a batch stamp imprinted on the shell inner front

?

Cool Re: M1 US helmet dated 1945

looks to ba a late war rear seemed with a stainless steel edge lid with original corking finish not sand as the grains are to big.

well thats my opinion anyway

p.s. its a very nice lid you have there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 US helmet dated 1945  

Quote by NickD View Post
    looks to ba a late war rear seemed with a stainless steel edge lid with original corking finish not sand as the grains are to big.

well thats my opinion anyway

p.s. its a very nice lid you have there
    I agree

Thanks, Rene, Nick and Stalingrad. I've checked the helmet and you are correct: the stainless steel shell rim seam is at the rear, and the cork under the paint is confirmed by testing with my thumb. I see no batch stamp inside the front of the helmet shell. My father in law passed away several years ago, but my mother in law remembers one of his duty stations required him to keep a rapid reaction force dufel bag packed at home. This helmet could well have been part of that Air Force equipment using the dated 1945 helmet in the post war era.

?

no probs

it should have a heat stamp / number to the front of the helmet on the inside near the peak area simlar to the pic below it may be hard to see but should be there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 US helmet dated 1945  

I've taken the shell out into the sunlight and looked carefully for the number inside the shell as you suggested, Nick. I'm unable to see any impression under the paint anywhere on the inside of the shell.

very nice helmet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast