Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals

Article about: Hello guys Here were my newest M1 helmet Ithink that it is a M1C because the Chinstrapbails were Special and airbornemarkings were on the both sides Im not seen something like this before Im

Default M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals

Hello guys
    Here were my newest M1 helmet
    Ithink that it is a M1C because the Chinstrapbails were Special and airbornemarkings were on the both sides
    Im not seen something like this before
    Im thankful for all posts
    Im thankful for all Information about this helmet
    Im hope the pictures were good
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals   M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals  

M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals   M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals  

M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals   M1C helmet found in Magdeburg in germany with decals  

Airborne helmets have D bales fitted, but the bales on this are fitted to the outside, which I haven't seen before. Can't make out the insignia, it is a curious item for sure.

I quite like this helmet. I have seen other examples repaired in this manner on the net somewhere. I don’t know what the conclusion was , perhaps a repair when there was no access to welding equipment. If i can i will see if i can find links to them. any chance of a picture of the inside of the bail. And what’s the other bail like.
    Rod

Quote by plumbob View Post
    I quite like this helmet. I have seen other examples repaired in this manner on the net somewhere. I don’t know what the conclusion was , perhaps a repair when there was no access to welding equipment. If i can i will see if i can find links to them. any chance of a picture of the inside of the bail. And what’s the other bail like.
    Rod
    That is a typical type of repair effected in the field when the bails were broken off. As far as I can tell the most common way for such damage to be caused was through the typical GI habit of sitting on the helmet as an improvised stool. This was more likely to happen (not excliuively of course) to the 'D' bail because it protruded further than the rectangular type and was therefore more vulnerable. I believe that this was one if not the main factor in the discontinuation of the 'D' bail. So, this maybe a a 'D' bail and therefore airborne helmet but broken bails leading to such a repair occurred with the rectangular type as well

An additional factor was that apart from the bails tendency to break, such a repair involving drilling holes in the shell causes structual changes at metalurgical level which compromises the ballistic integrity of the helmet.

The interesting vertical fissures are I believe, separations of stress cracks due to the relic condition of the shell which has lost the rim which would have aided integrity.

I can't identify in flashes either but it looks like a diamond outline?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-13-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

If this was a field repair it is curious to me because replacing the bales on the outer side of the shell in the position they are has necessitated the removal of the manganese or stainless steel rim of the helmet, such removal has then in turn weakened the shell causing the vertical splits?

Hope the insignia can be deciphered?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    If this was a field repair it is curious to me because replacing the bales on the outer side of the shell in the position they are has necessitated the removal of the manganese or stainless steel rim of the helmet, such removal has then in turn weakened the shell causing the vertical splits?

It does look like the rim may have been lost due to the repair but I do not believe that is the case. The holes for the improvised bail are just above where the edge of the rim would have been.

I can understand why this was done probably armourers or recovery mechanics/engineers etc who would not have realised the effect on the ballistic quality of the steel but also that replacement helmets shells would not be immediately available on the FEBA (Forward Edge of the Battle Area, sorry that is modern NATO speak but you get the idea). I have seen images of such repairs and I will see if I can post some but either way I can't imagine it was that great a job but "need is must" as the saying goes.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The stencils look like to 505th PIR 1st battalion stencils.
    if it was a M2 the feet of the original bails would be left on the shell. are they? or is it to corroded to see.
    Rod

Is it a good helmet?
    Regards Bavarian

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post

Forgot to add in my last post (I was on my way to bed!)

The vertical cracks are stress cracks from the normal manufacturing proces and are common in M1 helmets especially earlier shells. Caused by the single draw f the forming of the shell and probably by the composition of the steel in combination with the particular shape of the shell. This was later improved by forming the shell in a double draw process. If the cracks were within set parameters the shell was passed as acceptable which is why stress cracks are so commonly seen in issued helmets.
    In this case the cracks have been opened by corrosion and the rim was likely lost either before or during the same time.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Regards

Mark

I think this helmet could have been converted post-war to a pooper scooper by adding a wooden handle with metal wire?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast