Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1C liner chin strap

Article about: I came across this chin strap on a 67 dated Firestone liner. I assumed this was not period to this liner and did some research and concluded it was either a late ww2 or early Korean War (I m

Default M1C liner chin strap

I came across this chin strap on a 67 dated Firestone liner. I assumed this was not period to this liner and did some research and concluded it was either a late ww2 or early Korean War (I might be wrong). I would like your opinions on this strap before I make a decision on what to do with it. Thanks guys.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C liner chin strap   M1C liner chin strap  

M1C liner chin strap   M1C liner chin strap  

M1C liner chin strap  

Where is jake when you need a good opinion on US lids

Sorry bud been busy,from what i can tell,its late ww2 with 8 eyelets,the 1st type variant of these split cotton chincup straps had 10 eyelets,check out the "steel pots" book its identical to the example shown.I have seen postwar variants like the one on my KW Capac liner where the strap is made from both OD3/OD7 cotton,but never just OD3 so pretty safe to assume its a genuine period piece.

?

I concour with Jake it is a late WW II produced example the earlier production chinstraps if memory serves me correct were constructed from textiles that are more yellow tan in color as well.
    Here is an example from my late war M-1 C Westy liner for comparison.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C liner chin strap  

The only thing i'm not sure of is what metal should the eyelets be made of,Marks clearly show Steel however Red's example appears to be of either Brass or Nickel,now weather thats a factor or not I just don't know,maybe both or all three types were manufactured.

?

Good eye Jake and I had not considered the material used for the eyelets till you had brought it up I will have to look around and see if I can find any info in regards to the materials that were used.

Regards Mark