Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s

Article about: Hi guys would love your opinion on this one. The helmet is a schleuter with stamp markings of S 200A or 280A hard to tell as the middle digit is very faintly stamped. It has the stainless st

Default M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s

Hi guys would love your opinion on this one. The helmet is a schleuter with stamp markings of S 200A or 280A hard to tell as the middle digit is very faintly stamped. It has the stainless steel front seem rim with swivel bales which Helps me to date it to late 1943 to late 1944. It has post war paratrooper chin straps but no markings present. Is the paint scheme the original WW2 or has it been repainted? On the stainless steel rim were the paint has worn there appears to be a darker paint underneath but hard to tell.
    The liner is made by Firestone and was part of a contract issued to them in 1962 to produce 12,810 units. The liner has the the Firestone F with 63 underneath molded into the crown. An unusual feature to note is the chin strap buckle on the Firestone liners were a more squared shape although the requirement at the time was to use the rounded wire brass buckles. The liner suspension also has the black ink stamp LOT 20. The headband and nape strap have 65 contract dates marked on them.
    The Mitchell pattern helmet cover is a rare early cover with a 1962 contract ink stamp.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s   M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s  

M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s   M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s  

M1C Schleuter helmet early 1960s  

Nice helmet, I think the paint and texture of the shell is original factory. It seems to have been only lightly worn.

The helmet is not a M1c. The loops are wrong this a swivel bale or loop helmet. The helmet went through a refurbish and Vietnam era chinstrap and clips applied.
    Marty
    Correction on next post.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Marty not sure what you are trying to say here about the loops and it not being an M1C helmet. It's a WW2 lid with paratrooper chin straps 60s era with a 60s M1C liner, could you explain what you mean thanks

My mess up. I am at work and should be working. I had a brian frat my mind was on a m1d helmet.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Another great set Ian,the shell looks top draw it looks original in OD but difficult to be 100% but that liner is just pure magic,in that condition with beautiful original factory paint,and that super cool early Mitch,see what you mean about the squared off buckles,not really seen that before.note how the chinstraps are reversed?someone adding them to complete the set?or genuine field done?still a great overall set to own,good one bud.!

Hi Jake I knew you would spot the chin straps on the wrong way round that's why I was asking about the paint scheme to see if it was a 60s period repaint with 60s period chin straps but to me it does look like a paint scheme for ww2. I personally think they may have been added to complete the set but this helmet has very light wear and so why were the original straps removed? surely the straps would have been in good condition? So brings it back round are they a period refit put on wrong? I suppose I will never know

The more i look at the shell the more original it looks!maybe factory undercoat or something that is showing on the rim,the texture and colour all seem to be ww2 vintage.postwar field or factory is differant to this.like you say maybe a put together to complete the set,but either way its still a great set with a minty type 2 P55 Firestone liner so it can't be all bad can it?..............!

Based on the pics posted, colour and texture are identical to my mint, unissued Schlueters hence my earlier comment about this being the original, factory war-time finish. I don't think it was ever repainted; I believe it is possible the slightly different colour on the rim is due to minimal wear (like the slight rubbing against the inside of a cloth cover for 50 years).