Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Medic helmet with possible battle damage

Article about: This helmet was floating around on eBay for a week.i emailed the guy and made him an offer and he took it. I am not much into collecting relic helmet and I am always a sceptic when it comes

MAP
    ?

My theory on exit holes on bullets. Shoot me down if you disagree.

If a 30 cal/8mm bullet enters a helmet (except for an odd angle glancing shot or high up on the dome) I find it highly doubtful that it would be able to penetrate the helmet and then both sides of a skull and then have the velocity to exit the other side of the shell. That is why I think a helmet like this was not worn at the time. I could be totally wrong so happy to hear from anyone with solid ballistic experience.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'm going to respectfully disagree, Map. 8mm mauser I think would have no trouble with that task 100m or less. I've seen a .357 round go through both sides of a pickup bed before. (Don't ask) That is a lot lower velocity than 8mm.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

I'd love to test the theory but I'm not ruining tbe only m1 I own.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

Michael that is one of my thoughts too. I put a liner in the helmet and placed it on my sons head. The angle puts the path of a bullet on the right side of the head entering above or behind the ear and exiting around the eye. Possible shot but I hope that was not the case. The shrapnel damage may have happened at the same time but not necessarily.

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I'm going to respectfully disagree, Map. 8mm mauser I think would have no trouble with that task 100m or less. I've seen a .357 round go through both sides of a pickup bed before. (Don't ask) That is a lot lower velocity than 8mm.
    happy to be proven wrong. Just a theory.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12