Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medics M1 helmet for review

Article about: Hi, looking for some opinions on this M1 medic. It looks all original to me but I’m sitting on the fence with the medic paint work. The close up shows clearly that the paint work has been pa

Default Medics M1 helmet for review

Hi, looking for some opinions on this M1 medic. It looks all original to me but I’m sitting on the fence with the medic paint work. The close up shows clearly that the paint work has been painted over previous scratches and chips although I don't know if that's necessarily a concern.

Errol
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medics M1 helmet for review   Medics M1 helmet for review  

Medics M1 helmet for review   Medics M1 helmet for review  

Medics M1 helmet for review   Medics M1 helmet for review  

Medics M1 helmet for review  

?

Looks like it has been repainted a few times. If original, possibly Korean War or later reused helmet. Perhaps the bright lighting, but the straps look a little unusual.

These are always tough, and this one is no exception.
    Regards,
    John

Don't ask me I just got burned on one. The one thing I've read about the seller on other forums is most are reproduction items. Thats my 2 cents worth. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks John, I agree...its a tough one!

Thanks Marty, I read your post before and I know what its like when your after a particular item. I think a lot of us have been burnt at some stage.

the straps almost look like the same used on the French M51? that have been aged

?

Genuine period painted medic helmets are extremely rare and highly covenanted and IMO there are very few originals in the market place today compared to out right fakes and or post war examples.
    I consider the search for a medics helmet some what like searching for the Holy Grail and or the Ark of the covenant be very wary of the pit falls and traps.
    I am on a quest of my own and have been for some time to add a Canadian Mk II medics helmet to my own collection and find that they are very elusive and have seen very few original examples all of which reside in private collections and have been there for many a year if not generations .
    Good luck with your search and always remember if it is to good to be true it normally is ( The devil will be in the details ) look at ,question and study these type's of helmets and the painted panels hard.

Regards Mark K

Thanks battle gear.

Thanks for the tips Mark and good luck on your quest too. The WW11 Aussie slouch hat is my Holy Grail!