Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mint MSA liner

Article about: Was at an antique show this weekend and picked up this liner very cheap. Gary

?

Default Mint MSA liner

Was at an antique show this weekend and picked up this liner very cheap. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mint MSA liner   Mint MSA liner  

Mint MSA liner   Mint MSA liner  

Mint MSA liner  

Cool.
    chris

?

Super awesome condition liner, Nice find! I am not an expert on these liners so might be wrong here but firstly it has no vent at the front which I thought all WW2 era liners had and the shape looks slightly odd to me the edging around the back along the nape band almost like it has been cut down or something? Is this an MSA trait? Or do I just need to go to bed, I am very tired and have fuzzy eyes lol. Cheers, Sean.

That is one unissued liner. I always thought the ww2 era had the eyelet as well. I'm terrible at keeping up with the wartime vs. Post war traits though. Even if its post war you can't go wrong in that condition!

I have seen a few examples here and there on the net where the front eyelet hole has been missing, I think MSA liners were the main examples.
    The only conclusion I can think of, is that at least one batch may have been made with the drill bit broken on the multipoint drilling machine in the factory which cuts the eyelet. Yet they seem to have let them go through the rest of the manufacturing process.

Nice liner and a nice pick up.
    Rod

managed to find one of the examples to which I was referring to. I see they recon the holes were punched out not drilled, so perhaps a broken punch.

Un finished MSA - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

IMHO its a reject liner for obvious reasons,the liner has never been painted,which is possible but very much doubt it,the back seems to be way to thin to have any ballistic properties,the biggest give away is the positioning of the chinstrap nipples there aligned in completely the wrong place and have been set way too far up the liner wall plus as already stated the front grommet hasn't been punched through!!!!!!but still a crispy item to own.........and certainly differant from the norm.......

Still a nice unpainted reference piece.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

The front hole is there its just not all the way through. I have seen a couple just like it on the net ,but as stated most are painted. Thanks for looking guys I'll take photos of it with another liner to compare. The thickness is the same as anyother liner . The leather band is a 1943 contract. Gary

Ok Gary I wasn't awake earlier,the back of the liner has been sliced away,hence why the nipples are closer to the edge,look at the two pics for comparison and see how far the Neckband A washers are from the edge compared to your one,basicially somehow half or all of the liner has been trimmed,most likely cut from the processing molds after setting.............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mint MSA liner   Mint MSA liner  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast