Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My first M1

Article about: Certainly looks original. Some good history attached to that division

Aik
    ?

Default My first M1

My first M1 My first M1 My first M1 My first M1 My first M1

MAP
    ?

Aik,

The Helmet guys will probably ask for some clearer photos plus some of the liner itself (not in the shell).

Not an expert on these, so won't pretend that my feedback would be worth anything!

But congrats on your first M1...many variations to go :-)

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Definitely need good clear close natural light pictures of all of the painted markings. I am not the expert either but its definitely intriguing from the pictures, IMO. I will keep an eye to see what others say, and to see those other pics.

Aik
    ?

Default good pics

My first M1 My first M1 My first M1 My first M1

Hi Aik,

Not a bad first M1 - certainly should be fun to research

These pics are still a bit poor/blurry in regards to judging original paint and decals etc - Dating the shell and hardware should still quite possible; from what I can see your M1 shell could be mid to late WWII. It may be possible to see a heat stamp under the front rim - from this we can date the shell. The decal is US 2nd Infrantry Division. Decals are not my strong point although I believe that these painted on shells are usually indicative of post war use. The chinstraps are sewn on swivel-bales, which alone usually indicates the mid war period issue. Are the straps olive drab or khaki? The olive drab (OD#7 I believe) webbing in the liner could really indicate a time frame from late WWII to the early 1960's. Is there a maker’s mark on the liner under the webbing? One easy way to identify a WWII or Korean War era liner is the brass frontal eyelet hole. I can't see if your liner has one or not. I believe they stopped installing these circa 1952.

Cheers and enjoy your new M1!

I.M.H.O its a fake,and why well for starters the liner is postwar and maybe of European build,ABL but without better pics its hard to tell,also if the shell Insignia was totally original this would be worth a ton of cash even with the shell being of the Swivel Bale varity,any original wartime examples are at best extremely rare and when one does surface the price tag is through the roof,im assuming you never paid top price for this Helmet?and why is there no paint missing from the stainless steel rim,the biggest giveaway on a repaint,and put a tacky postwar liner to an original shell,this of coarse is only my observations and i could in fact be completely wrong.............

Aik
    ?

The helmet is from France. I added the liner because there was no liner in it. I will post better pictures the strap is khaki i will search for a stamp.

Aik
    ?

My first M1 My first M1 My first M1 My first M1 My first M1

Well from these pics it certainly looks the part,but just be aware that just because it was purchased in France thats not a reason for it to be genuine,many Helmets have been faked with so-called local provenance.but like I said it does look good judging by these latest pics,just display it on its own,the liner doesn't do it any favours...........I like it...........

Aik
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well from these pics it certainly looks the part,but just be aware that just because it was purchased in France thats not a reason for it to be genuine,many Helmets have been faked with so-called local provenance.but like I said it does look good judging by these latest pics,just display it on its own,the liner doesn't do it any favours...........I like it...........
    I bought it from a old farmer in normandy so the helmet was in the farm since 1944.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast