Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first M1 helmet

Article about: I hope these are of interest ,I think I have a Vietnam era helmet . With a camo cover of the same period. A few pics ....

?

Default My first M1 helmet

I hope these are of interest ,I think I have a Vietnam era helmet . With a camo cover of the same period. Serial number on the shell is 1-2913.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first M1 helmet   My first M1 helmet  

My first M1 helmet   My first M1 helmet  

My first M1 helmet  
    Last edited by busman; 09-19-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: X info

?

From what I can see I think it is a Vietnam era helmet with a Mitchel camo cover and a Westinghouse liner.

?

From what I've read the liner is a Westinghouse / capac liner. These were ww2 Westinghouse liner moulds reused by capac during the Korean War era. Hence the addition of there logo.

52/53 capac liner, so late 52/early 53 production, ahh wait I'm probably wrong! sorry
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-20-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added text

51/52 there in between the capac cross? I'll shut up

Hi busman. Nice M1 and interesting graffiti on the liner. Your M1 is an ingersol helmet due to that serial number on the shell manufactured around 1965 (does the liner sit poorly in the shell?) I own a couple of these ingersol shells and no liner from any period sits well in them. The liner is a ww2 Westinghouse surplus liner and webbed up during the Korean War (1950s), I have a few of these myself. Does the liner appear to have had multiple coats of paint? Your Mitchell cover was made in 1970. I do love these M1s in the fact that they just kept reusing them repainting them from the 40s right up into the 70s.
    Last edited by Redstalker; 09-23-2015 at 05:43 PM.

?

Thanks for the info on the shell date much appreciated , the liner get caught by the chin strap bales a bit . Not sure if the liner has had other coats of paint, as for the graffiti " the wife was a little less impressed than usual".

Interesting lid with all the gaffiti on it. I Love this type
    of camo cover.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Default Couple more of the liner

Bit more graffiti on the liner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first M1 helmet   My first M1 helmet