Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My First M1C Helmet!

Article about: Hi guys. I just picked up my first M1 helmet and, through a little research, was able to deduce that it is a para M1C model. The pot is front seam, with swivel bales and bears a heat stamp n

Default My First M1C Helmet!

Hi guys. I just picked up my first M1 helmet and, through a little research, was able to deduce that it is a para M1C model. The pot is front seam, with swivel bales and bears a heat stamp number of 112D. It has a sand/silica paint job. The buckles are flat and black coloured steel with no marks.

The liner has the front grommet hole so I understand that it is WW2 or possibly Korean War era. It is marked CAPAC in the crown. The webbing appears to be khaki coloured but the sweatband is OD. There is a name/serial number on the sweatband. The info on the nape tag is worn away so can't get any info there. The buckles on the "A" straps appear to be brass.

Anyway, please let me know what you think! Any idea of date/era would be appreciated. My First M1C Helmet!My First M1C Helmet!My First M1C Helmet!My First M1C Helmet!My First M1C Helmet!My First M1C Helmet!

Default Re: My First M1C Helmet!

Mh there's something that derange me, I don't know what...but i think the steel helmet doesn't belong to the liner , because there is no para chin strap!
    Greetings

I've seen lots of M1C's with missing chin straps. I'm sure they removed them if they weren't jumping any time soon. I bet lots got misplaced.

What era is this helmet?

?

well its quite a mix of eras the liner looks to be 1950's with a WW2 nape strap NAM era chin strap with a 1960's finish to the shell & if the shell is front seam then that would of originally have been WW2 issue as well ?

one question about the shell the heat stamp number is very low for a swivel bail version ? is there any thing near the number that looks like a capital S if so that would make it a SCHLUETER made shell if not then it would have originally been a fixed bail version that's been upgraded at some point in its life to the swivel bail version.

No "s" that I can see. Is it possible that this one was made in WW2, used, then turned in and upgraded for Nam with a new sweatband (I think its a 63 date), straps and paint? Makes sense if so!

The graffiti (if legit) also looks more like Nam than WW2. The markings definitely look aged. Besides, the name Rakkasan did not exist until the occupation of Japan after WW2.

Was it common not to wear a camo cover in Vietnam or I'd it just missing?

?

well the shell is of WW2 origin & dates around May 1942 with that heat stamp number so its had quite a life

?

Quote by instigator008 View Post
    The graffiti (if legit) also looks more like Nam than WW2. The markings definitely look aged. Besides, the name Rakkasan did not exist until the occupation of Japan after WW2.

Was it common not to wear a camo cover in Vietnam or I'd it just missing?
    its possible it started out with a cover but over time was worn out & then never replaced ive seen many pic's of troops in NAM without covers on their lids.

Thanks for your input guys.

I would love to add a period chin strap to this. Would an OD3 colour be the way to go?

?

if this was mine & it was in original as found condition i would leave as is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast