Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My latest M-1C helmet

Article about: Here's another helmet that arrived today. On removing the cammo cover I found that the helmet had been painted a very thick dark shade of green. This covering was flaking badly and revealed

Default Re: My latest M-1C helmet

Quote by battle gear View Post
    the modification doesnt allow the adjustment of the chin strap, so it would only fit properly on the person it was made for

if they would have replaced the chin straps with the newer style the straps would be easy to adjust, doesnt really make sense to me why they didnt just replace the straps with the clip on type? like these late style clip on straps in this photo.

because they would have had to remove the web chin cup off one of these to make the modified one.
    Hi.

Yeah this one is a real mystery,I would guess by making the modification, the chin strap would not need adjustment as it would be in fixed position,for the wearers use,and would just need to be attached with the snap.

I have a few lids with these M75 chinstraps, which one was broken when i got it, I have found the black clips,which attach to the lids bales, to be fairly fragile, maybe this GI's M75 clips broke ,so he attached it to some original T1 clips.....?????

That's what I like about these field repairs,get's you thinking

Default Re: My latest M-1C helmet

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Here's another helmet that arrived today. On removing the cammo cover I found that the helmet had been painted a very thick dark shade of green. This covering was flaking badly and revealed an all-white finish beneath it. I took the plunge and decided to have a go at removing it.

The results were far better than I expected and revealed a light shade of green, beneath this is another shade of green with a sand textured finish. There is a heat sink stamping of 184A to the inner front.

The liner is of the Paratroopers type, but the split chinstrap is missing. Liner is dated 1967 and cammo cover is dated 1968. The chinstrap fitted to the shell is not of the Paratroopr type. It could be a replacement carried out by a 'squaddie', as I think anyone else would have carried out a far neater job. I have a spare set of Vietnam-era Paratrooper chinstraps, but I really cannot decide whether to put them on. Opinions on what to do are most welcome.
    i have one like that too but it looks like it is covered wit alt of sand and the inside is painted too so i cant see a stamp. i dont know how to remove all the sand and paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2