Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My latest M-1C helmet

Article about: Here's another helmet that arrived today. On removing the cammo cover I found that the helmet had been painted a very thick dark shade of green. This covering was flaking badly and revealed

Default My latest M-1C helmet

Here's another helmet that arrived today. On removing the cammo cover I found that the helmet had been painted a very thick dark shade of green. This covering was flaking badly and revealed an all-white finish beneath it. I took the plunge and decided to have a go at removing it.

The results were far better than I expected and revealed a light shade of green, beneath this is another shade of green with a sand textured finish. There is a heat sink stamping of 184A to the inner front.

The liner is of the Paratroopers type, but the split chinstrap is missing. Liner is dated 1967 and cammo cover is dated 1968. The chinstrap fitted to the shell is not of the Paratroopr type. It could be a replacement carried out by a 'squaddie', as I think anyone else would have carried out a far neater job. I have a spare set of Vietnam-era Paratrooper chinstraps, but I really cannot decide whether to put them on. Opinions on what to do are most welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest M-1C helmet   My latest M-1C helmet  

My latest M-1C helmet   My latest M-1C helmet  

My latest M-1C helmet   My latest M-1C helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images My latest M-1C helmet 

Default Re: My latest M-1C helmet

looks like somebody modified the chin strap and sewed the chin cup on a standard set of ground troops straps? you might want to leave those field modified straps on the helmet.

Hi Mate.
    This is a real unusual one, like you say looks like some squaddie took a M75 chinstrap and has attached it to the original T1 chinstrap bale clips, I like this one a lot it ,it is unusual and therefore that makes it cool in my eye's.

You could get a para- liner chinstrap ( i've seen these on evil-bay ) and that would complete this lid a treat!!

Great addition to your collection mate, I would be chuffed with this one

Cheers

you dont really need to use para chin straps, Ive seen photos of Marines wearing para liners with standard ground troops helmets, or Air Cav troopers with the para liner and regular chin straps

the straps that have been modified look original to the helmet and have been on the shell for a long time, thats how the last soldier wore it.

but the modifications are probably post Vietnam era, possibly a helmet used by the Argentina soldiers during the war in the Falkland islands or possibly Grenada?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    you dont really need to use para chin straps, Ive seen photos of Marines wearing para liners with standard ground troops helmets, or Air Cav troopers with the para liner and regular chin straps

the straps that have been modified look original to the helmet and have been on the shell for a long time, thats how the last soldier wore it.

but the modifications are probably post Vietnam era, possibly a helmet used by the Argentina soldiers during the war in the Falkland islands or possibly Grenada?

Yeah, i see what you mean now about the straps, I expanded the photo's......Never seen anything like this before...really odd...still cool though.....i would guess Grenada.....And think the steel sheel is late war ,due to the heat stamp prefix

I really suspect this helmet has been through a few wars in its time. The reason I made the comment about the chinstrap is because I know, as an ex-squaddie, we would sometimes patch up and make do. A collector on the other hand would replace a chinstrap and try to do it exactly as it should be. Here a view of the chinstrap from the other side. I have another helmet due in the next few weeks that may interest you Gaz. Its another M-1C. The shell is supposed to be Korean war era with sewn-on Para chinstraps and the early Vietnam Para liner. Will post pictures when it arrives.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1268429950
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest M-1C helmet  

Question Re: My latest M-1C helmet

is the repair a hand sewn repair? or did they use a sewing machine?

Im curious if it was crudely hand sewn by a soldier in the field or maybe sewn at the depot with a sewing machine / professional modification?

when I see unusual mods on M1 helmets, thats a sign it could have been used by some foreign or non US soliders.

They have used a sewing machine, but the stitching is not of the same pattern you usually find on chinstraps. As with anything, there is no guarantee that it IS a genuine field modification! That's why I gave some thought to putting on this spare set of Para chinstraps which I have. it is never easy to know what to do for the best at times.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I really suspect this helmet has been through a few wars in its time. The reason I made the comment about the chinstrap is because I know, as an ex-squaddie, we would sometimes patch up and make do. A collector on the other hand would replace a chinstrap and try to do it exactly as it should be. Here a view of the chinstrap from the other side. I have another helmet due in the next few weeks that may interest you Gaz. Its another M-1C. The shell is supposed to be Korean war era with sewn-on Para chinstraps and the early Vietnam Para liner. Will post pictures when it arrives.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1268429950

Hi Mate.

As I said before it look's like a M75 chinstrap,attatched to the bale clip's, I like the idea of this modification, seem's feasable to me that someone attached the chinstrap in this way,to avoid using the original attachments which normally clip onto the steel helmet bales.

And I look forward to seeing your other M1-c,especially as it sounds like a mix of war era's( as a lot of mine are!)

Cheers Harry

the modification doesnt allow the adjustment of the chin strap, so it would only fit properly on the person it was made for

if they would have replaced the chin straps with the newer style the straps would be easy to adjust, doesnt really make sense to me why they didnt just replace the straps with the clip on type? like these late style clip on straps in this photo.

because they would have had to remove the web chin cup off one of these to make the modified one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest M-1C helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast