Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My M-1 low pressure liners

Article about: heres my two low pressure liners one is an SC (St. Clair Rubber Company) made liner the other is an HR (Hood Rubber Company) made liner. The St. Clair Rubber Company and Hood Rubber Company

?

Default My M-1 low pressure liners

heres my two low pressure liners one is an SC (St. Clair Rubber Company) made liner the other is an HR (Hood Rubber Company) made liner.

The St. Clair Rubber Company and Hood Rubber Company developed liners that allowed for quicker or cheaper production and distribution. The “St. Clair” was a low-pressure plastic liner that used short steam pressure to mold the duck cloth and provided a means for a much quicker production. The St. Clair liners are easily identified by their shiny plastic appearance and indented sides. The low-pressure technique used by the St. Clair firm did not perform as well as the high-pressure models, and their contract ended in early 1944.

Like the St. Clair Company, the Hood Rubber Company developed another liner technique commonly called “Ball-Winding.” The Hood plastic liner provided the Army with a “low cost alternative” that used less material than other methods. It consisted of resin soaked cotton ribbons wound around a watermelon form. After a duck cloth brim and crown were in place, the product went into a final mold process for curing. Hood’s contract ended, like St. Clair’s, in early 1944.
    U.S. M-1 Plastic Liners
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M-1 low pressure liners   My M-1 low pressure liners  

My M-1 low pressure liners   My M-1 low pressure liners  

?

Default Re: My M-1 low pressure liners

HR and SC liners are very hard to find. Nice examples.
    SteveR

?

cheers mate wish the SC liner was in better condition but as you say not easy to come by & not cheap either so that one will do for now

?

Nick very nice. Gary

Nice liners. Especially the HR. The SC is a little rough, but still nice to have.

?

cheers guys