Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Named US M-1 helmet

Article about: Strange the see the webbing in the liner being tan, you would've thought it'd be OD, very nice either way, Nice later war shell, think they started producing the rear seam swivel bale shells

Default re: Named US M-1 helmet

Strange the see the webbing in the liner being tan, you would've thought it'd be OD, very nice either way,

Nice later war shell, think they started producing the rear seam swivel bale shells in Nov 1944, its the stamp on the inside of the front that gives it away as wartime, if there isn't a stamp but with every thing else as is, it's post-war.

?

well i managed to highlight the other name in the liner it seems to be a MICHAEL C NIELSEN which i did a search on & come up with this NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Combat Area Casualties Current File, 6/8/1956 - 1/21/1998
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_1028.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	53270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_1029.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	53271  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_1031.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	53272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_1032.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	53273  

Name:	PIC_1036.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	53274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_1038.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	53275  

?

this poor fella dident last long date of tour began 18/01/1969 & was KIA by 29/07/1969

Very well done on this research.

Cheers, Ade.

?

thanks Ade just wish the other name in the shell was that easy to find

?

Hi Nick , how are you m8 , that`s a real interesting helmet , congrats on a great find , and finding the previous owners records really makes it special . I think the Viet Nam war was completely different to conventional warfare as was known at that time . I see the poor lad was only nineteen - as the song goes ! I wonder how his helmet got back ?

cheers Al

?

hiya Al
    thanks mate its been really good to do this & the first time Ive been able to as well. im still unsure whether the liner & shell belong together as my question would be why he dident remove the last owners name tag or atleast add his name to the shell ??????????

anyway guess i'll never know the full story of this lid but knowing all i know about it now has made it very special one for me one thing i would have loved to do would have put a face to the names

?

Hi Nick , i think perhaps the helmet was re-issued to michael with a new liner into which he printed his name , just a thought ,

cheers Al

?

i suppose that could have happened & we could speculate on what could of happened in its life till the cows come home but i guess we'll never know

?

Default Re: Named US M-1 helmet

hiya guys

here's an update on the helmet Ive been in contact with HAROLD G. KIVELAs son Anthony about his father & hes been kind enough to send me a copy of a picture of him as well as a copy of his service record

Hello Nick. I was able to visit Mom and I found the only military picture of Dad. It was when he was married in London in 1952. He is the one in the picture in the middle with the hat. He was just assigned to London after a tour in Panama. He originally enlisted in the Regular Army and then transitioned to the Air Force. He did 20 years in the Air Force and retired to San Antonio, Texas. He was born August 19, 1927 anf he died July 21, 1992.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Harold Kivela.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	177494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Kivela childhood.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	177489  

Name:	Scan_Military Document.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	177492  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast