Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Navy M1?

Article about: I bought this alooong time ago when steel pots were starting to go up in price I think I oaid 20 dollars. It had a woodland camo cover, and a late '80s liner. I found it in the basement a co

Default A Navy M1?

I bought this alooong time ago when steel pots were starting to go up in price I think I oaid 20 dollars. It had a woodland camo cover, and a late '80s liner. I found it in the basement a couple days ago.

I'm guessing by the blue it was probably used by the Navy? It has a rear seam. So with the anchor on the chin strap, would it have been made by north&judd MFG? I'm not sure yet if I want to put it back to rights, but if I did, would it need a liner with a tie in the crown, or the later vietnam style?

Sorry about all the questions, I started out just wanting 1 helmet, and now I have a little bit of knowledge, and I keep noticing things lol

A Navy M1?A Navy M1?A Navy M1?A Navy M1?A Navy M1?A Navy M1?A Navy M1?

?

Default Re: A Navy M1?

It certainly seems to be Navy. ARM = Armoury? I think production of those chinstraps started in 1965 by North & Judd, so a liner from around that date would be most "right." That means a Vietnam type. The older type were used too though earlier on.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Im not sure if its a navy helmet or not but they started using that style chinstrap in 1945 but the metal clips were green thats definitely a vietnam era helmet. - Nick K

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll just put the ugly green liner back in it unless I can find a good deal on a different liner. I should go check out that corner of the basement again, there could be more stuff I forgot I had lol

Is it just the photo or does this rear seam have a stainless steel rim? Any heat stamp?

My 2 cents on it being a navy lid would be, not likely, based only on it's condition. Any helmet that spent any time in the salt air likely shows some signs. I've never seam "ARM" on any helmet, but the navy did put all kinds of different designations on there stuff, just depending on that the ships command happen to want. Russ

?

ARM -- Armament

ARM -- Aviation Radioman

ARM -- Heavy machinery Repair Ship

From Here: Glossary of U.S. Naval Abbreviations (OPNAV 29-P1000)

As regards condition, I hear what you are saying, most are "salty" but I have two nice clean ones in my collection.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by nkumburis View Post
    Im not sure if its a navy helmet or not but they started using that style chinstrap in 1945 but the metal clips were green thats definitely a vietnam era helmet. - Nick K
    Correct, but I think the anchor stamped ones began production in 1965? Can anyone confirm this?

Best regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

From what I've read you are correct Andy. Anchor imprinted straps were made sometime between the mid 60's and late 60's.

Nitram

?

Thanks Nitram, the old grey matter is not what it used to be, and sometimes I second guess myself.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

The paint seems to be wearing off in about the same pattern as my older M1, so I'm guessing stainless? the paint is wearing off on the very bottom edge. Was never issued maybe? The chin strap buckle isn't verry worn. When I was in the guard in the mid 80s my helmet had this same type, and there was hardly any black left on it.

I can't make out any heat stamps through the paint, I even used my magnifying glass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast