Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

need expert opinion on M2 helmet

Article about: I am posting pictures of a helmet that I found about 2 weeks ago... I have a ton of photos (including very detailed and general pics), but Im just posting some general photos for reviewal, a

dbale
    ?

Default need expert opinion on M2 helmet

I am posting pictures of a helmet that I found about 2 weeks ago... I have a ton of photos (including very detailed and general pics), but Im just posting some general photos for reviewal, and if you need a very detailed pic of a certain part of the helmet I can post them upon request (I dont want to mess up the forums bandwith). Here is a brief story of how I came across this helmet... Almost 2 weeks ago, I was driving down my street on my way to work when i noticed a neighbor had put some (junk) next to the trash can... I saw a couple of helmets and knew that they were military helmets (the only reason I new they were military helmets, is because Im in the military and noticed they were olive drab). When I came home from work I was looking at the helmets (one fixed bale helmet with an inland mfg liner, and one swivel bale without a liner) I noticed that the fixed bale helmet had 1st Lt bars painted on the front and back and 2 hearts painted on the sides (I thought this was strange) so I started researching the internet and calling militaria collectors... inquiring about the helmet.... I have also been speaking to the lady that left the helmets on the curb. She is an 85 year old widow. Her husband served in the US army from approx 1925-1945, the problem is he was enlisted and the helmet is an officers helmet. So i know it was not his helmet... the helmet also has an XB-1959 painted on the botoom sid of the shell, and the back of the liner. Here are some general pics of the helmet.... as I said before, i can post very detailed pics along with a detailed description upon request, i know actually holding/inspecting the helmet and seeing pictures are completely different, but this is the best i can do for now..... if you need any other info just let me know, all comments are appreciated... thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images need expert opinion on M2 helmet  need expert opinion on M2 helmet  need expert opinion on M2 helmet  need expert opinion on M2 helmet  need expert opinion on M2 helmet  need expert opinion on M2 helmet 

?

Default Re: need expert opinion on M2 helmet

How many more opinions do you need on this one. Over 220 posts and over 7000 hits on this same helmet over at the USMF. Until you can get a hands on inspection, it going to remain undecided. m2 paratrooper helmet - U.S. Militaria Forum

dbale
    ?

Quote by Bugme View Post
    How many more opinions do you need on this one. Over 220 posts and over 7000 hits on this same helmet over at the USMF. Until you can get a hands on inspection, it going to remain undecided. m2 paratrooper helmet - U.S. Militaria Forum
    the problem is most of those post, were questioning me not the helmet.... ie there is a ebay saler with you same name.... i didnt get much out of the last forum, it started good and then went to SH^& after people started probing my private life, some one on here said let the helmet tell the story not the person, so i posted better pics on this forum. and maybe the people on this one can help me out more.

?

Quote by dbale View Post
    the problem is most of those post, were questioning me not the helmet.... ie there is a ebay saler with you same name.... i didnt get much out of the last forum, it started good and then went to SH^& after people started probing my private life, some one on here said let the helmet tell the story not the person, so i posted better pics on this forum. and maybe the people on this one can help me out more.
    You didn't get much out of that forum??? What you didn't get, was your opinion that it's the real thing, coming from us. You only wanted to hear that it's legitimate and not that there were questions on it. Quite frankly, you got many many years of expertise from some of the top collectors in the world.

I'm the one who said: Let the helmet do the talking. If you'll re-read the posts over there, you'll see that I did not attack "you" personally but, rather I spoke about the helmet. As a matter of fact, every legitimate helmet collector on the USMF questioned the helmet. All the ones who thought your helmet was possibly the real thing, are not even serious helmet collectors. Does that tell you something? I can't speak for those who questioned your character. The only thing that I questioned was your determination to quote: "I get a kick out of proving the experts wrong"

Of those who questioned your helmet's authenticity are the likes of: Authors of books on Helmets, Long Time & Experienced Collectors & An Airborne authenticity consultant for Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. If those guys weren't experienced enough for you then, I don't know what more you could ask for. As was said over there, a hands on evaluation would be the only way to put this to rest once and for all.

BTW, yes, I also sell on eBay to support my hobby but, what that has to do with this helmet is beyond me.

?

Let me add: I hope you can find what your looking for here on the WRF.

?

Quote by Bugme View Post
    Let me add: I hope you can find what your looking for here on the WRF.
    that wont happen here if it was a german lid yes but a US lid no especially this type so sorry but he will not get satisfaction here either

?

Quote by NickD View Post
    that wont happen here if it was a german lid yes, but a US lid no, especially this type. so sorry but he will not get satisfaction here either
    I agree, the best place for the answers on U.S. items is where he got his answers before on the USMF. My suggestion is that dbale post this over at Mark Bando's triggertime, quite a few airborne guys on that forum! Trigger Time General Discussion - All - Trigger Time Forum - Message Board - Yuku

?

?

Mayby someone is fishing for a buyer.

?

It appears from your pictures the D's have been Brazed on, now this could mean nothing, as this was a way of field repairing the M2 if the D loops broke, however its also a very easy way of getting around the problem of having to spot weld the loops on in place if your making a reproduction.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "