Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with helmet!

Article about: maybe it used to be a navy firefighters helmet off a ship from ww2?

Default Need Help with helmet!

Hello everybody! I came across this helmet in a garage sale on a farm in Illinois near Chicago and have no idea when it was made or what war it was from, I'm thinking US WW2 but I have no clue! I've uploaded pictures in this post and hopefully that is enough to figure it out! There was something on the front forehead area that looks to be taken off, don't know if it was a badge or what. Please let me know anything you may be willing to share with me about this particular helmet, where it's from, what side, what war, and how much it could be worth if anything at all! Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by warhero; 05-28-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: pictures!

Default Re: Need Help with helmet!

Hi welcome to the forum. The pics didn't show.

Thanks! I just uploaded the pictures right now on Imageshack and the link is in the original post down below.

No idea why it's red, but the shell and paint are both Vietnam War-era.

looks like it's been used for cooking

Could be about anything...need much better photos, a good profile shot and a couple of the chin strap too as it is not US. Does the shell have any stamped in marking on the inside near the visor area or any other stampings in the rim anyplace?

?

It is a WWII late war swivil bail front seam helmet.
    I do not know what type chinstraps. Not original.
    I would take them off.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It is a WWII late war swivil bail front seam helmet.
    I do not know what type chinstraps. Not original.
    I would take them off.
    sorry mate but its a rear seamed 1960's M-1 i think you're mistaking the mark to the front as a seam but look at the rear.

Thanks for all the comments! I wish I had better pictures, thought these would work! The seam is on the back not the front. So what I've got from that info is that this is a Vietnam Era US M1 and not a WW2 helmet?! I will take better pictures if you still need them. What's up with the red color, is it rust, undercoat, doesn't look like rust to me! I love learning about new stuff so when I go out buying items I know what I'm buying! Thanks guys!

I don't think the red is paint, I think you are right about it being some kind of undercoat

Regards, Corey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast